All Wounds Heal [Chapter 70] -FINALE-

Lincoln and Kane returned carrying the same red seaweed-type plant that Clarke had found for Jasper when he had been clinging to life after he had been stabbed. It seemed like years ago that this happened, and it had hardly been a month ago. Time flew by now, and it felt as though the seconds were counting down like another bomb was coming down to end all human life on Earth. But we weren’t going down that easily. One hundred years had passed since the nuclear war, and we had survived against all the odds. It was Bellamy’s turn to fight the odds.

                Lincoln crouched down, ripping the red seaweed apart and mixing it with something else resembling moss and the glowing mushrooms. As he worked on the burn heal, the rest of us say impatiently trying to hold on to what little we had left. Time was ticking until the Mountain Men would find us here, only half a kilometer away from the camp itself. I stroked Bellamy’s hair again, though he was unconscious.

                “Here.” Lincoln said at last, handing Octavia a large leaf full of the burn heal. He took the other half to Abby, who applied it generously to Finn’s back.

                I dabbed some of the thick substance to Bellamy’s face and neck, Octavia helping as well. Bellamy writhed in his unconscious state, but we managed to cover the burns entirely.

                “What now?” I asked, my voice shaking.

                “We need to get them back to the lake.” Abby said, “There is some medical supplies in there, and we will be safer than we are here.”

                “She’s right, the Mountain Men will find us.”

                “We will need something to carry them on.” Octavia said; we could carry Bellamy without a stretcher, but Finn’s back was too badly burnt to touch.

                Using branches and our own jackets, we managed to make a pitiful but useable stretcher for Finn. Lincoln and Kane lifted the teenager onto the stretcher, placing him on his stomach so that his festering wounds were not being bothered. Sinclair and Abby carried Finn in the stretcher, while Lincoln and Kane carried Bellamy. Octavia and I aided their wounds whenever they seemed as though they were in treacherous pain, and gave them water when they needed it. Food was more difficult, as they could not chew when they were unconscious. We held off on food until we arrived back at the Arc.

                People had set up makeshift tents, and small fires burned on the edges of the lake. Since it was still daylight when we arrived, it was safe to have the fires. However, they would have to be put out at first light. While the Hundred had not worried about fires bringing in any dangers, we had not bothered the Mountain Men until the bridge had been blown to bits.

                Abby took full control and command when we arrived back at the Arc, and I realized that she was trying to cope with the fact that Clarke was probably never to be seen again. To busy herself with saving the lives of others, rather than focusing on those that had been lost. Many people from the Arc were wandering around, gathering water from the lake and assisting Abby where she needed it. I felt as though Bellamy was in safe hands, but I could not be sure of anything until he was awake, talking and feeling better.

                As day turned to night, Octavia and I were sitting on the edge of the lake, tossing rocks into the dark water. Waiting was more painful that not knowing.

                “It’s amazing that we found them…” Even though Bjorn had not known they would be in the tunnel, I wished I could have thanked him for helping us find Bellamy and Finn.