You Were Made To Break My Heart [Chapter 51]

That morning, Nova was still wrapped around me when I woke up. Most of the people in the large communal tent had been stirring for some time, and when I finally rose, most were gone. Nova sat up and ran her hands through her hair, looking up at me with slight surprise in her eyes, but mostly happiness.

                “Care to talk to me yet?” She asked.

                I smiled, “Bellamy.”

                “Walk with me.” She said, slipping on her boots as I did the same.

                Once in the bustling camp, we found ourselves with the job of fixing a portion of the wall that was crumbling; the wires used to hold it up were weak and it was leaning inwards towards the camp. This, if it continued to lean, would be an advantage to the Grounders when they decided to attack.

                With my bare hands, I began to unwrap a thick blue wire from the piece of wood we used in this section of the wall. “I need something to strip this wire; the copper will hold better without the plastic cover.”

                “Here.” She handed me a small dagger.

                I took it from her and began to peel away at the blue plastic that protected and encased the wire.

                “You are stalling.”

                I sighed, “There was a Grounder-“

                “You’re sleeping with one too?” She asked.

                “No.” I shook my head, “He helped me escape. Anyways, he has popped by and, uhm… talked to me a few times. I trust him.”

                “Okay…”

                “Lincoln left, and we have no intel on the state of the Grounders. I can get that intel.”

                “And Bellamy had a fit when you told him?”

                “Bingo.”

                “How will you find this Grounder, now that the bridge is gone?”

                “He has a knack for finding me.”

                “Well… after this explosion, maybe it is best to stay away from him.” She warned me, “I mean, he might not trust you, or want revenge.”

                “It is a risk I think will be worth taking.”

                “You should bring a gun.”

                “You know I’m not fond of them.” I thought of Felicity.

                “Please, just for safety.”

                “If it eases your mind; it might ease Bellamy’s.” I caved, though I had it in mind to ditch the gun on the way; Bjorn would not trust me that much.

                I headed towards the tent where Raven had been making bullets; no one was there. My eye narrowed and I spun on my heels; I needed Raven to show me some of the basics, so I couldn’t just take a gun from the tent and head on out. As I neared her tent, presuming that she was resting after her tough day yesterday, I heard something from within. It was a soft moan, and I had recalled Finn and Raven having a bit of a break up the day before.

                My finger slowly parted the tent door and I peered in. My heart sunk when I spotted Bellamy, stark naked with Raven wrapped around his waist. Her arms were wrapped around his strong neck, as mine had been not so long ago. Her lips pressed to his as he walked her to the bed. Releasing the tent door, closing them in on their endeavours, I found words escaped me when Nova stood, wide eyed. She had peered in and seen it too, but she seemed to have nothing to say either.

                Though I had numerous mixed feelings about, well, how to feel, none of these emotions really showed. Of course I was angry, but I didn’t feel the need to shout or go in there to stop them. Though I was upset, tears only swelled in my eyes, and never fell. In a way, I almost felt relieved; it revealed to me that Bellamy might never love me, and it was folly to believe he could have in the start of it all. I was just another lay.

                A sigh escaped me when I realized that I was already outside of the camp walls. My weapons limited to two daggers, I felt exposed and vulnerable, but in my hazy state I could hardly care. It slipped my mind on how I had left the camp, did Nova try to stop me? I wondered, but the memory would not come back to me. Instead, I was trekking into the wilderness without a sense of direction or a hope that I would find anything out here. For all I knew, the Grounders had backed off, or Bjorn was dead.

                It felt as though hours had dragged on as I walked through the forest, completely lost now. I had cleared my mind by this point, the fresh air and being far away from any noises that reminded me of people, and specifically Bellamy and Raven. It didn’t surprise me, the way Bellamy acted, but it still hurt me.

                A large Oak tree up ahead seemed like the perfect place to lean back against. I sat down beside the magnificent tree and rested my head back, closing my eyes. Despite wishing that someone would have followed me, whether it be Octavia or Nova… I felt as though there was no one around. No gut feeling that anyone was watching me, and for the first time since I was last on the Arc, I felt truly lonely. I no longer had Bellamy, Octavia was too strung up on Lincoln to think about me (not that I expected her to), and I had very few friends among the Hundred.

                Swift footsteps startled me; my eyes shot open, hoping to see Bellamy, Nova or even Bjorn. There was no one in view; my eyes darted to the branches of the trees that surrounded me, but again I saw nothing. It occurred to me that Grounders were not the only people to fear out here; Murphy and Octavia had said something about the elusive and mysterious Mountain Men, though none of us could imagine anything worse than the Reapers. They sounded like awful, vicious and vile creatures.

                Would the Mountain Men come down because of the explosion like Octavia had said? Given the fact that we knew nothing about them limited my idea of what triggered them. Reapers as well; all I knew was that they were savage.

                As I focused in on my surroundings, I could feel the hair on the back of my neck rising. My hand slowly grabbed the dagger at my hip and I knew that if I was going out today, I’d go out with a fight.

I have to admit, I stole this title from the song "Suck it and See" by the Arctic Monkeys. But hey, it works out well in my opinion. Comment, comment, comment! I can't wait to see what you guys think of this chapter. I loved writing it, and the next two! I've gotten lots of personal messages and I adore that! xo