Kill Bellamy Blake [Chapter 30]

“Ava!” I heard Bellamy shout from behind me, but I continued towards the forest.

                Nova stuck by Octavia’s side to make sure that she was alright, while I strode off to clear my head and my heart. My hobble was easing now, I was able to put some weight onto my ankle, but I could not outrun Bellamy. I could hear his boots thumping onto the Earth as he gained on me. There was so much I wanted to tell him, to say to him, but I could only feel anger towards him in this moment.

                “Ava, stop!” He called.

                “Bellamy!” I screamed at him, “You just tortured a living human being! Right in front of me… and… and Octavia…” My voice seemed to wither away.

                “I did what I had to!”

                “No, Octavia saved Finn, not you! Your violence will only breed more violence.” I shouted, “I can’t be around that. I’ve seen too much violence in my life. I thought Earth would give me a second chance, a chance to not fear those around me.”

                “You… fear me?”

                “I don’t know how to feel about you.” I said coldly.

                Bellamy tightened his jaw, staring me down but ending our conversation with a shake of his head. He turned on his heel and tore off. I wanted to scream, to shout at him, but I already had and there was nothing more to say. Instead, I hobbled through the dense forest until I was in the glowing forest. The sun was creeping down over the hill, a bright pink and orange glow blending with the brilliant blue. Despite its remarkable beauty I could hardly focus on it. I realized tears were swelling in my eyes, blurring my vision.

---

                A few days drew on long and slow. Winter was coming and the cold was creeping up on us. Darkness came sooner and lingered longer. However, it wasn’t the weather that was running chills down my spine, but the glares that were being sent my way by Bellamy. Needless to say, I was shooting them back with double the fierceness.

                “You know, you should really talk to him.” Nova said, popping up beside me.

                I rose to my feet, able to walk almost properly now and without the use of crutches. "He didn't stop to think forone second about what I was feeling... He never considered my side, or Octavia's."

                      “Yeah, you should have seen that coming.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “You started sleeping with a twenty-three year old with a bad temper. He shot the counsellor.”

                She was right, but that didn’t justify what Bellamy had done.

                I plucked a few more mushrooms from the forest floor, ones that didn’t glow, and added them to my bag. “This should be enough.” I said; I couldn’t pluck all the mushrooms or else they wouldn’t grow back.

                “Alright.” Nova said, flinging her blonde hair over her shoulder and closing her own bag. But not before taking one of the mushrooms and popping it into her mouth, “These taste a lot better than those damn nuts.”

                We headed back towards the camp, always looking over our shoulders to ensure that we were not being followed or hunted by Grounders. Not that it would matter; if they wanted us dead they could do it in a mere heartbeat. Still, it became a habit to the hundred to be weary of who else was out there in the forest. I imagined if I was caught, I would tell them that I tried to help one of their own, but seeing how stubborn our captive was, I doubted that they would listen.

                Octavia had told me that he had thanked her for what she did; they spoke English. That was a huge step at least.

                When we arrived back at camp, Nova took the mushrooms and took off to put them in ration packs. I spotted the long blonde locks that belonged to none other than Clarke. Beside her was Bellamy. They were talking, and he seemed to be smiling. I swallowed back some anger and ducked my head to avoid him seeing me. As I rushed through the tents, I could hear the quiet hum of the radio, and a voice I didn’t recognize.

                Though I wasn’t sure what inclined me to snoop, I lingered just outside the tent, listening to the conversation.

                From the radio came a voice, “You beat a man to death, didn’t you.”

                “He stole from me.”

                I wracked my brain to try to figure out who was within the tent.

                “I need you to do something for me. Kill Bellamy Blake, and I’ll make sure your mother is on the first Exodus ship.”

                I nearly gasped, but felt absolutely winded so nothing came out. I had to warn Bellamy, but as I dashed through the camp, I couldn’t find him. He and Clarke were already gone, and I had not an inkling of where they were headed. When I reached the edge of the camp, someone on watch grabbed hold of my arm, “You can’t go out alone…”

                It was Dax, and for a moment, I thought I recognized his voice, but shook it off. “Bellamy is in trouble.

                “He’s a big boy, he can handle himself.” He comforted me. “Besides, you going out alone will only put you at risk. You won’t catch up to them.”

                I nodded, “Don’t let anyone else out… Someone wants Bellamy dead.”

                Dax nodded, “I won’t.”

                “Thank you.” I sighed heavily, and turned to get help with the rations.

Jasper and Monty were messing around, eating almost every second nut, but they had put aside a large amount that would help us during the winter months, if we were going to survive that long. The cold was going to kill us first. That, or the Grounders.

Octavia bounded towards me, “Ava, I need to talk to you.”

I narrowed my eyes in curiousity, and then nodded, “Okay.”

We distanced ourselves from the others, so that no one was in ear shot.

“His name is Lincoln.”

“You talked to him again?” I asked, surprised.

“I was cleaning up his wounds, he told me he was going to die here… I can’t let him die here.” She tried to remain calm. “Bellamy said he won’t kill him, but he can’t live tied up forever. We have to free him.”

“I don’t know how… Octavia, it is us against nearly one hundred other people.”

“Bellamy is gone, I just need to distract Miller.” She was almost smiling.

“I’ll try to think of something.” I said.

As Octavia left, terror struck through me. I felt numb, a tingling sensation within my bones. Realization sunk in and I felt completely hollow. How could I have been so daft?

Dax was the one in the tent. Dax was the one tasked with killing Bellamy.