Hunting [Chapter 8]

Though Jasper’s screaming and groaning was causing the rest of the camp to lie restlessly awake through the night, it was Bellamy’s words that prevented unconsciousness for me. By now, the camp had been protected by some walls, and almost everyone had some sort of makeshift tent. Underneath my tarpaulin tent, I laid flat on my back, staring at the rippling fabric in the wind. The night was dragging on painfully, and I found myself completely uneasy.

                The groans grew louder, and I knew that even if I got Bellamy off my mind, I wouldn’t be able to sleep. Yet somehow, I must have gotten some shut-eye, as I woke just as the sun was beginning to rise up through the moss-covered trees. The parachute-tarp I was using as a tent had very little depth to it, and the sunlight broke right through. Jasper was still groaning, which ruined the peaceful morning, and the death threats coming from the others towards him didn’t exactly make me feel any better.

                 Having gone out to find him, and finding him even remotely alive, was something that made me have hope that he would survive. When I scanned around, I saw that Clarke was holding something in her hand, talking to Finn and Wells about it.

                “They made a poultice, and it was keeping infection at bay, but now his fever has spiked, and I don’t think he will make it through another night.” Clarke explained.

                I passed by, continuing on through the camp. I couldn’t sit around all day, and I didn’t want to go out looking for some herb that would save Jasper; whatever it was, the grounders used, which meant they would be out there, perhaps expecting us to go looking for it.

                I wasn’t going to risk my life again for the kid.

                When I saw Bellamy and a large group of people, I wondered what he was getting up to. I didn’t trust Bellamy entirely; with the wrist band and the ‘whatever the hell we want’ situations not quite behind him, I worried for those who didn’t know how to challenge him safely. Or, if they couldn’t challenge him, then avoid him safely. Now that his group of guards had grown large, it was hard to not be submissive to him.

                Atom was back, though looking bitter.

                “Ava,” Bellamy called out to me, “We’re going hunting, are you coming?”

                I looked around at the unfinished walls, knowing that I should stay and help finish them, as well as get a decent camp set up, but I didn’t want to pass up an opportunity to talk to Bellamy. Just to figure out of what he had said to Murphy when he thought I wasn’t around was true or not. If it was, I knew that I would have to end things with him. While casual sex was something I didn’t mind, in the back of my mind I truly wanted security.

                After what had happened to me, I knew it was more than justified.

                Bellamy was still waiting for my answer, so I nodded, “I’ll come as back up, but I’m not killing anything.”

                “Not even a grounder?” He asked testily.

                “Depends.”

                I went back and got my pack, swinging it over my shoulder and tightening the seat belt so that it was tighter on my back. Tucking the makeshift knife into my belt, I joined the hunting party as they set off into the forest. Lingering at the back with one of the guys I didn’t recognize, I felt the urge to test Bellamy.

                “I’m Ava.” I said with a smile to the guy.

                “Connor.” He replied, but stiffly.

                I wondered what his issue was, but knew that look in many men’s eyes when I tried to get close to them. “I was raped, that doesn’t mean I hate men.”

                “That’s not it.” Connor replied.

                “What’s the issue then?” I asked, “I’m just trying to get to know the people who I’m stuck on Earth with.”

                “I’ve seen what Bellamy does to the people who get close to those he cares about.” Connor explained insightfully.

                “And what makes you think Bellamy cares about me?” I scoffed, though I was honestly stunned by what Connor had said.

                There was some evidence that Bellamy perhaps cared about me, as he was seemingly looking out for me. However, there was more evidence piling up that revealed to me that all he wanted was sex, or alliance. He wouldn’t tell me what he had done in order to get on the drop ship, meaning he didn’t trust me. I understood that, though, as I did not easily trust people either, and in fact, I didn’t trust anyone on this damn planet.

                Murphy spotted a boar, smaller than they had hoped, but it was something and would feed most everyone at camp. As no one had died from eating the large cat-like creature, everyone came to the conclusion that the animals were edible, but the plants were still questionable which wasn’t great for me, but I was doing fine thus far. Murphy gripped his knife and threw the blade, missing the boar by a long shot. Within a split second a twig snap turned all heads, but Bellamy was the first to act, throwing his knife towards the sound.

                We all stared blankly at a startled young girl, and Bellamy started shouting at her, explaining how he had almost killed her.

                “Go back to camp.” He said.

                “I want to help!” The girl argued.

                “Let her join.” I said, “Might as well teach her some skills.”

                The girl was too small to do much of the lifting and building back at camp, perhaps her small stature could help us in scoping out deer or other animals, even grounders. Bellamy looked up at me, questioning, and then looked back at the girl, “What’s your name?”

                “Charlotte.”

                “Well Charlotte, you can’t hunt without a knife.” Bellamy gave her a metal shard, sharpened enough to cut flesh with ease. “Have you ever killed anything before?”

                “No…” She said.

                As we carried on, everyone disappointed about the boar getting away, we dove deeper into the forest. It was all new terrain, and I hoped we would be able to find our way back to camp without any issues. However, there was no chance that there were going to be no issues, I discovered. A loud horn blew, a few times, and only moments later, a hazy orange smoke filled my line of sight.

Sorry for the shitty title, I couldn't think of anything better. Thanks again to all of you who vote and comment, I really love comments! xox