Rain [Chapter 3]

When the rain started, I felt alive. At first, I had made sure I was inside the drop ship, terrified of the rain that was falling; it could kill us. But, when I heard laughter rather than screams, I felt the urge to venture out and feel the rain on my skin for the first time. And yet, I stayed within the drop ship, leaned back against a cool metal wall and running my fingertips over the wrist band that connected me with the Arc. No one would glance over my name on the screen that showed all our faces. I was nothing to anyone; just the girl who almost killed a guard.

                The laugher grew louder, and I zipped my jacket up so it was done up just until my breasts. The rain brought a chill, but I knew that it was warmer than if it had been a cloudless night. Weather was something I enjoyed learning about when I was learning in the Arc. Clouds were like a blanket for the Earth, keeping the heat trapped in. I didn’t mind that there were clouds; not being able to see the stars or moon meant nothing, as it was all I saw on the Arc.

                I could heard an uprising, and recognized the voices to be Wells and Bellamy. When I listened in, it was regarding the wrist bands. Glancing down at mine, I sighed, not having anyone in the Arc to contact or tell that I’m alive, but at the same time not wanting to risk being left on Earth to wither and die without support from the Arc.

                After the fight died down, and the ‘whatever the hell we want’ cheer settled, I heard someone pull the makeshift-tarp door open; the rain sounded louder then. I glanced over, but the darkness was more than my eyes could handle.

                “Ava?” I heard Bellamy.

                “What?” I asked, my tone sharp.

                “What the hell are you doing in here?”

                “Making sure that the rain wasn’t going to kill us all.” I called to him.

                He came into the drop ship, the tarp falling back and engulfing us in darkness again. “Well, it isn’t, so get out there and enjoy it.”

                “I like a guy who can tell me what to do.” I said, sarcastically.

                “I can imagine how the last guy who told you what to do ended up…” He said.

                “I’m sure you can.” I said, rising to my feet and running my hands through my hair; the Arc hadn’t been generous enough to let us shower before sending us to Earth, so a little rain would be great for my dirty blonde hair.

                Bellamy reached his hand out, waiting for me to take it.

                I stared at his hand for a moment, then slowly reached out and took it. He turned and opened the tarp, holding it up so I could exit the drop ship. The rain pounded down; droplets as big as golf balls. Within a few seconds, the ends of my hair were dripping with rain; something I had never once felt before in my entire life. I raised my hands up, as if I could catch the drops; they were elusive and slipped through my fingers, trailing down my arms underneath my jacket sleeves.

                I laughed lightly, “This is amazing.”

                But when I turned, Bellamy was gone. I glanced around, lowering my arms, but I didn’t see him. Sighing, I looked around the camp to see if there were any more familiar faces; but the five who left for Mount Weather hadn’t returned yet. Anyone who had committed a serious crime was known by name, but not always by face. However, many of the petty criminals were unknown to me.

                When I spotted Bellamy again, I saw his arms wrapped around two girls; each glued to his hips as they giggled, walking along. I widened my eyes, a bit surprised, though reminded myself that he was older, and what girl wouldn’t be falling all over him? I crossed my arms over my chest and inhaled softly, averting my eyes and reminding myself that I was here to survive, not to fall in love; or lust.

                It was Wells who came to me next, as it seemed neither of us had anyone else to talk to.

                “You’re friends with Clarke, right?” He asked, his voice sounding gentle against the pounding of the rain.

                I looked at the chocolate skinned boy and half-smiled, “Not really. Aren’t you?”

                “Not really.” He replied, using my own choice of words to suit his needs.

                “You want me to talk to her.” I said insightfully.

                “I just… I wish she wouldn’t look at me as if I were dead to her.”

                “If you are dead to her, there is nothing an outsider like me can say.” I explained, “It’s on you to fix whatever you broke.”

                A sigh emitted from his lips, and I felt myself glancing at the drop ship again, where Bellamy and his two companions had slipped into; the high pitched giggles revealed that they were surely enjoying themselves, and each other. Scoffing as I realized he had come to me, luring me into the rain, just to get me out of the drop ship that he had apparently claimed as his territory.

                Clarke had told me to keep an eye on him, but she didn’t mean it to be like this.

                My stomach growled in hunger, and I glanced up, as if Clarke and the others would come wandering into the camp with barrels of food. But that was too good to be true; nothing ever went the right way. This was a test, and there were going to be obstacles that none of us expected. We never expected to be shipped to Earth like some guinea pigs, we never expected to be on the wrong mountain, and I never expected to have eyes for someone like Bellamy Blake. 

Thanks for reading, please comment feedback and don't forget to vote!