Reminders [Chapter 2]

Bellamy was the one to continue conversation, which was exactly what I had hoped he would. I wanted him to be as interested in me as I was him.

                “You’re the girl who..?”

                “Yup.” I confirmed before he could even reveal my crimes, “He deserved it, and more.”

Bellamy looked impressed.

                “What the hell did you do to get here?” I asked when he said nothing more.

                “Nothing.” Bellamy said, suddenly tense.

                He turned away and stalked off, shoulders hunched as if he were holding something heavy. I rolled my eyes and spun on my heels, looking around at the horde of teenagers; there were some younger, but very few. Almost everyone was a teenager; the perfect age to act out as a result of being caged on a metal space station from birth until… well, until now.

                I pulled my jacket off, revealing some of the tattoos that stained my arms; I had full sleeves, and many more around my body. There wasn’t a lot to do on the Arc, so I found myself tattooing not only myself (in places I could) but others who wished to rebel without breaking a law. It was how kept myself busy in those long hours with nothing much to do except read crumbling books and watch hundred-year old movies over and over again.

                The sunshine was just what I needed on my skin in that moment; reaching my arms out, I inhaled deeply and accepted the fact that I was actually on Earth. The moment was broken when I heard shouting; people were starting to dislike each other already? I contemplated staying where I was, but I knew better than that. It was Clarke’s voice I heard over the others, so I decided to see what she had to say.

                “We are on the wrong damn mountain, we need to get to Mount Weather!” She exclaimed.

                I knew that this was serious, given that our only possible food source was on Mount Weather, and if that wasn’t where we were, then I didn’t know how we would get there.

                “Finn, Jasper, Monty and I are going to Mount Weather.” Clarke explained.

                Octavia spoke up, “I’m coming too.”

                My eyes flickered instantly to Bellamy, wondering what he would have to say. Everyone knew how possessive he was over his sister, since she was the only family he had left, though a lot of people had only one family member less, if that. He was lucky enough to have a sibling, which was more than anyone else, at least that I knew of.

                I felt Clarke’s eyes on me, and wondered what she wanted of me. Though Bellamy was eye candy, I didn’t trust these kids in his hands. He was strong with his words and his actions, and people would see him as a leader. They hated the Arc, most of these kids, why would they do what they were told?

                “Avarice, right?” She asked as she neared me.

                I could hear Bellamy and Octavia arguing, but focused in on Clarke. “Ava.”

                “Everyone knows what you did to end up here.” She said cautiously.

                I grimaced, “Good. At least that will keep me safe.”

                “I need you to keep the others safe.”

                I narrowed my eyes, questioning her judgement; what did she think I could do against ninety-five other teenagers?

                “Survival of the fittest; whoever runs off and gets killed means one less to worry about under my watch.” I said sharply, revealing that I was not going to babysit, “But I’ll try to keep them under control, and get some sort of a camp prepped.”

                Clarke knew that was all she was getting from me and nodded, courteously. “If you can… Watch over Bellamy…”

                “Gladly.” I said with a smirk.

                There was something about the bad boy that made me shiver in anticipation. After the five left, Octavia included, I walked over to where some kids were starting a fire. It wasn’t getting dark yet, but it would be easier to have a fire going in the daylight than it would be trying to get one going in the dark. In the Arc there were always lights, but down on Earth, the moon wouldn’t offer much especially if there was cloud cover, which I could see was overtaking the bulk of the blue sky above us. They looked dark and menacing, which I believed meant rain. I just hoped it wouldn’t be acid raid.

                “So.” Bellamy’s voice made my heart jump, but my body remained still as a rock. “You’re keeping an eye on me, hey?”

                I wondered how he had heard that, but didn’t pry. I had other things I wanted to find out about him first. “I have no intention of being your mother and cleaning up after you.”

                I realized that my words might have been sharp, as he had lost his mother when Octavia was discovered, which had been because of him.

                Bellamy sensed my withdrawal of my words, and cleared his throat, “Don’t get in my way.”

                I made a face, raising my lip in disgust, “What are you going to do? Shoot me?” I asked.

                “Maybe.” He said, lifting his shirt and revealing the handle of a black handgun.

                Now I was getting somewhere; there was no way he had found that on Earth, so he must have gotten it on the Arc. How? I wasn’t sure, but I believed it to be how he had gotten on the drop ship.

                “You came to protect your sister.” It wasn’t a question, as I knew it to be true.

                “Yes.”

                “And yet you let her leave your side to find our food on Mount Weather?”

                “Is this a trick?” He questioned.

                “We know nothing of Earth, nothing. I wouldn’t walk through the damn forest alone; who knows what’s out there.” I smirked, just trying to scare him and get him riled up; I wanted to see his boundaries.

                “Don’t remind me.”

                “You should know that I am known for making sure people remember the things that they do.” I said, reminding Bellamy of what I had done to get myself locked up.

Please vote and comment, I'll love you forever! xox