Words Lost and Found [Chapter 58]

“Ava what are you doing?” Bellamy grabbed hold of my shoulders, turning me to face him. “He will kill us both.”

                “Two of us is better than one against him. He might have a gun, but has he ever used one?” I asked, “Besides, we aren’t getting Jasper without both of us trading.”

                Bellamy sighed, “I hate it when you’re like this.”

                “Being an altruist?”

                “It’s bad for my health.” He shook his head in dismay.

                I laughed, then smiled. The sound of the door opening in the background made my stomach churn; I wasn’t sure what Murphy was capable of, but I did know he had once meant to murder a child even before he had been pushed over the deep end by the Grounders and their horrific torture.

                Pressing my lips once to Bellamy’s, we walked into the drop ship, disappearing beyond the tent. Murphy, thick dreadlocks for hair, looked at us with eyes wide, crazy. He pushed Jasper out, who was gagged and had his hands tied behind his back. He was safe, though I wished myself far from this situation. There was no one to save us but Raven now. The sound of the metal door closing us in with this maniac made me realize just how real this situation was.

                Murphy, right off the bat, pointed his rifle at me and Bellamy shouted, “HEY!”

                Bellamy swiftly stepped in front of me, protecting me from the threat of Murphy.

                “Settle down.” Murphy mocked, lowering the gun. “I’m not letting her die that easily.”

                “You don’t touch her.”

                “Fine.” Murphy cocked his head to the side. “You tie her up.”

                “What? No.” Bellamy protested.

                “It’s you or me, Bellamy.” He growled, “I’m giving you the choice.”

                “Bell, it’s okay.” I said, though this fouled my plan of sneaking around and getting the gun from Murphy somehow.

                “Use this.” Murphy crouched down and gripped a red seatbelt, tossing it towards Bellamy. The man slowly grabbed it, gripping it firmly in his fist. I could tell that he was considering using the buckle as a weapon, to swing it at Murphy. But Murphy had a gun. Murphy was in full control.

                “Murphy, this is insane.”

                “Maybe.” He almost agreed, “What’s more insane is you not doing what I tell you while I have a gun to your head.”

                “Alright!” Bellamy snarled.

                He turned back to me, his eyes dark, then he grabbed my hands and began to wrap the red seat belt around my wrists. It wasn’t tight, and I knew what he was doing. Keeping my game face on, I looked right into Bellamy’s eyes, trying to tell him that we would be okay, though I could hardly believe that myself. Even if Raven got those doors open, that meant nothing; once the creak of the door was registered in Murphy’s head, he probably wouldn’t hesitate to shoot us both.

                “What is this?” Murphy growled, shoving Bellamy aside, “I said tie her up.”

                “I am!” Bellamy shouted.

                “I should have known you wouldn’t do it well enough.” He snapped, taking the seat belt and tightly wrapping it around my wrists, then once it had been knotted well, he tied the remaining bit of belt to the wall, trapping me to one spot. Murphy then turned to Bellamy and nodded over to the middle of the drop ship. “Grab that belt.”

                Bellamy looked at the chain of red seatbelts that were tied together. He crouched down and grabbed it, holding it in both hands.

                “Tie a noose.” Murphy told him.

                “No.” Bellamy growled.

                Murphy smirked, “I thought you would say that.”

                Murphy, gun still in hand, grabbed hold of a dagger from his hip. When he walked over to me, Bellamy dropped the noose and took a lunge forward. But Murphy was faster than that; he put the nose of the gun to my head and I winced.         

                “Come any close, and she dies now.”

                “Alright!” Bellamy backed off.            

                Murphy grabbed my hand and put a blade to my pinky finger. “Tie. A. Noose.”

                Bellamy began tying, his eyes on me the whole time. Every time Murphy moved, both Bellamy and I notably flinched. I knew what Murphy was doing; the psychological torture was that he was doing to me what the Grounders had done to him. The blade was breaking through skin and blood was dripping down my hand already. I bit my lip as hard as I could to hold back the shrill cry that was on my lips; I could taste it. I could taste the fear.

                “There.” Bellamy showed his noose.

                “Throw it over the beam.”

                I could see fear in Bellamy’s eyes, both for me and for himself. He hesitated to throw the noose for only a second, his lips opening to speak and protest with Murphy. The pain that shot through my body was enough to make my vision disappear. The sawing, the hacking… I could feel the phantom finger after the real one had been severed. When my vision came back, I could see Bellamy screaming at Murphy, I was keeled over, blood around my knees now. The bastard had cut my finger off.

                “Now, do as I say or she loses two more.” Murphy said as everything came back to me; the pain was excruciating, but watching Bellamy throw his own noose over the beam was worse.

                “Put it around your neck.” He told Bellamy.

                Bellamy didn’t hesitate this time; the stool he was standing on looked unstable. With the noose around his neck, he looked even more fearful than I had even seen him before. Murphy walked up to where the seatbelt was tied to the ladder to the upper level of the ship. He tugged on it slightly and Bellamy brought his hands to his neck.

                “Murphy, stop!” I screamed, my voice finally returning to me.   

                “You shut up.” He growled at me.

                A sudden noise from below our feet caught all of our attention; Raven.

                “I love you, Avarice.” Bellamy said, his voice cracking as if he knew that his time was up.

                 Murphy smirked, leaving Bellamy’s seatbelt and walking over to where he heard the noise that was Raven. He fired the gun a few times, shooting through the bottom of the drop ship in attempt to stop Raven. He was close to Bellamy, and the man kicked at Murphy, trying to stop him. Murphy ducked the blow, and without any more hesitation, kicked the stool from underneath Bellamy. Though I had told him I loved him before, the words stuck in my throat as I watched him writhe and kick as he suffocated.

He finally said it! Are you happy? Disappointed? What are your thoughts on this chapter? Where do you tink the story will lead once the season has come to a close with my story?