I'll Stand Behind You [Chapter 56]

“Can you save him?” Ocatavia asked me as I looked down at Myles.

                “I don’t know…” I breathed, nervous. “I need your help. We can’t wait on Clarke… Not now.”

                “What do you need me to do?”

                “Clean cloth; bandages... anything.” I said, “Clean knife and fire.”

                “Got it.” She said, leaving me with Bellamy for a moment.

                “Need me…?” He asked, though his words had an obvious double meaning.

                “Yes.” I said, also applying a double meaning. “Hold him down; when Octavia gets back I need to remove this arrow.”

                I bit my lip, then continued, “Depending on the arrow head, this may kill him…”

                Myles whimpered, still mildly conscious.

                “It’s not too deep, so we can’t pull it through, which would be the safest method.” I explained, “We have to remove it backwards, and if the arrowhead is notched, chances are it isn’t coming out…”

                “Should we break it?” Bellamy asked, “Shorten the shaft?”

                “That would only be useful if he was still running around, so that it doesn’t catch on anything. Right now, the length might help us remove it. If it breaks too low, we for sure can’t remove it.”

                “Right.” Bellamy nodded.

                “Can you get me some of that moonshine?”

                Bellamy nodded and swiftly slipped from the drop ship.

                Octavia returned with the items I had asked for, and I took them quickly, placing them beside Myles. “Here.”

                “Thank you.” I said, then looked down at Myles. “Why were they hunting? I thought we had lots of dried meat?”

                “It burnt down… The smoke house.”

                “Murphy?” I asked, instantly on my toes of defence.

                She shook her head, “No… I don’t think so. He was on my side.”

                “I can’t believe he is still here.”

                “He hasn’t done anyone any harm.”

                “Yet.”

                Octavia changed the subject, “Your Grounder… Is he gone?”

                “Don’t talk about him. He isn’t mine.” I snapped, though I could tell she had not told Bellamy, and for that I was grateful.

                Bellamy returned and I doused my hands in the moonshine, and then looked to Octavia. “Soak the knife, then heat it up. I’m going to try to remove the leg one first; see what type of arrowhead it is.”

                “Is this going to hurt?” Myles asked weakly.

                “Yes.” I said bluntly, grabbing the arrow shaft and holding tight. As I began to pull, the kid began to whimper and shake, “Bellamy hold him, Octavia too!”