Welcome Back, John Murphy [Chapter 46]

“Eat.” Bellamy handed me a crisp looking, red apple.

                I took the plump apple from his hand and bit into it, savouring it and wishing that I had more. “Mmm” I groaned in pleasure, “Do you have anything solid?”

                He looked thoughtful, “Not much, but I’ll get you something.”

                He pressed his lips to mine, holding them there gently, as if he were savouring me. Knowing that he didn’t love me as I loved him did not stop the fuzzy feeling I got when he kissed me. With all my emotions channeled and controlled, I watched him walk away from me. I no longer felt as safe around him as I used to, due to the fact that I had been taken right before his eyes; the Grounders were more than we could handle.

                He came back with a bag of seeds and carrots. The sun was hidden now, asleep for the time being. Darkness crept over the camp, though it wasn’t something we feared anymore; the Grounders couldn’t see in the dark any better than we could, so in a way it was our ally.  For the first time since I had been captured, I finally felt as though I could rest without fear or being disturbed.

                But on Earth, that was too much to ask for.

                “Someone hit the trip wire!” A voice called out from the perimeter of the camp.

                “Oh what now…” Bellamy growled.

                Both of us rose to our feet and rushed towards the shouting; there were people outside of the wall, carrying someone into the camp.

                “Who-“ Bellamy started.

                But I already knew; “Murphy.”

                “What the hell is he doing here.”

                “I don’t know… but I don’t like it.”

                “They’re bringing him into the drop ship.”

                I remembered the chilling words that Murphy had told me before I had left for the negotiation on the bridge. Why was he here? “He can’t be here.”

                “No, he can’t.” Bellamy rushed towards the drop ship to confront Murphy and those who allowed him into the camp.

                My feet were planted on the spot; I had no idea how to move. Knowing the Grounders, Murphy could not have escaped. He had been weak when I saw him, even weaker when I left. There was no way he could have over powered Dani, or any of the other Grounders that had been around. Even if some Grounders had died at the firing of the bridge, Murphy could not have escaped. They let him go; but why?

                Bellamy and I didn’t sleep well that night; Clarke had insisted that we allow Murphy the time to regain his strength before we continued his punishment of exile. While exile had led to his capture and ultimately torture, I had no issues with sending him back out. When I was at the Grounder camp, I had witnessed torture that I would never impose on anyone; Murphy had never threatened me before, but since his bone chilling words had been sent my way, I didn’t trust him around the group anymore; he was ever a threat in my eyes.

                The sickness began that morning; Murphy had been so battered that illness was expected from him. But healthy Clarke bleeding from her eyes caused the hundred to panic. Only moments after Clarke had gotten the virus, Connor joined. Derek too. Everyone who had seen Murphy into the camp was bleeding from one orifice or another. Clarke had them rounded up in the drop ship, to quarantine whatever it was.

                They must have poisoned Murphy with this virus, sent to infect the rest of us. I made a mental note to stay far away from the damn drop ship and most of all, Murphy. Finn rushed up to me as I was holding a small twig of the small licks of flame of the camp fire; killing time.

                “Ava, do you remember crossing a bridge on your way to the Grounder camp?” He asked me.

                I shook my head, “I was knocked right out, but that is how I got back, as you know.”

                “Do you think it is the quickest, most easily assessable way from their end to ours?”

                “Probably.” I told him, though I knew little.

                “Octavia said that they are planning to attack at first light.”

                My eyes found the sun burning high in the sky; it was about noon. That gave us about eighteen hours. “And why do you care about the bridge?”

                “I think we can eliminate it from the game.”

                “How?”

                “Raven.”

                We rushed into the tent where Raven was furiously making bullets to use against the Grounders; they feared them, and it deterred them, but we didn’t have enough accurate shooters to really win this war. It was a fools mind that thought we could win this with guns and bullets. Bellamy joined us, putting his arm lightly around my waist. A smile brushed my lips as I felt his protection, but I could see in Raven’s eyes that she wasn’t getting that from Finn; not when he still looked at Clarke the way he did.

                “That bridge survived nuclear war…” Bellamy said as Finn explained his idea.

                “Hydrozene.” Raven said, “Yesterday, from the drop ship.”

                “So, you build a bomb, place it on the bridge, then what?” I asked.

                “Shoot it.” She said, “You have to be about two hundred feet away.”

                “Who will bring the bomb?”

                No one spoke for a moment.

                “I will.” Finn suggested uneasily.

                “I can make that shot.” Bellamy said.

                “Shit…” Raven took a step back.

                Turning to see what she was looking at, my eyes fell upon the dark red blood that was slowly dripping from Bellamy’s nose. “No… Not you.”

                Bellamy’s hand raced to his nose, wiping away the blood. His arm fell from my waist and shook his head, “Don’t come near me.”

                “Who else can make that shot?” Finn asked.

                “Thanks for your concern.” Bellamy growled. “I’ll get Jasper.”

                I followed Bellamy out of the tent, but he put his hand out to distance us, “I can’t have you getting sick too, Ava.”

                “I can’t let you die on me… Derek is already dead…” I felt winded. “I fought my way back here from hell to be with you.”

                “I’ll survive this.” He said, “Octavia said it is not long lasting.”

                “I’m going to fucking kill Murphy.” I growled viscously.

                “Avarice, you stay away from him.” Bellamy argued.

                “Get Jasper.” I told him, turning on my heel and reeling towards the drop ship.

                Murphy had to have known that coming back here would endanger us some way or another. Unless he was a right idiot, this could not be blameless. I was going to kill him.

 Please comment and vote!! I love your feedback. People really seem to be liking Bjorn... :D