Slip Up [Chapter 31]

I had let him slip right through my fingers.

                Dax and Bellamy alike had slipped through my grasp with such ease.

                I grabbed a hatchet that was firmly impaled within a log and gripped tightly onto it while heading to the exit of the camp. My strides were hard and fast as I was eager to catch up to Dax before he caught up to Bellamy and Clarke. Both of them were unaware of the danger they were in, which was a major disadvantage on their part.

                “Woah woah woah!” Nova’s worried voice caught up to me as she jogged up to me.

                “Don’t try and stop me, Nova.”

                “I wouldn’t try and stop you.” She said, “Just wondering where you are going, all by yourself, weapon in hand. I know you are mad a Bellamy, but there is no sense in killing him.”

                “I’m preventing exactly that.”

                “What, you think Clarke is going to off him?”

                “No.” I snarled, “Dax is.”

                Nova looked puzzled, “How do you know this?”

                “I heard him talking to some guard on the radio.” I explained hastily, “So either come with me, or get out of my way.”

                “You are the most directionally challenged person I’ve ever met! I wouldn’t be surprised if you got lost in the drop ship and all its three levels.” She exclaimed, “Look, they are long gone, we have no idea where they are going, and the camp needs you.”

                “What do you mean?” I asked.

                “Everyone is stoned.”

                I felt like crumpling to the ground, but that wouldn’t save Bellamy, Clarke, or anyone for that matter. If there were a bunch of high teenagers, and very few of sober ones to keep watch, things were going to get out of hand. Defeated, I slouched slightly, following Nova back towards the camp where I could hear shouts and cries of both sorrow and joy. Monty was twirling around, hands above his head like a ballerina.

                “Oh boy…” I said; it was distracting seeing all these kids, and it helped ease my mind. As long as I could be useful I at least felt slightly less jittery.

                Monty grabbed my hand before I could even do a walk through of the camp and grab anyone who was straying from the safety of the walls. He pulled me into a sloppy twirl, leaning my back over his arm as if I were his dance partner. He was ballroom dancing now. Within a moment’s time, he had us in a passionate and intense tango, which was far superior to his ballroom and ballerina skills.

                “Monty, where did you learn to dance?” I asked in a fake posh accent.

                “I’ve never learned.” He exclaimed, surprised by his own capability to dance. He leaned me back roughly and I felt my back cry out in pain, but he looked into my eyes, holding me up, “But to woo a woman, you much dance.” His accent Spanish now.

                “Alright, Monty, that’s enough outta you.” I said, straightening up, “There are plenty of other girls who love dancing.”

                “Really??” He was shocked. “Like who?”

                “Well, Nova is one…”

                Nova widened her doe eyes and shook her head, mouthing ‘no’.

                “Nova…” Monty whispered her name, and then quickly let go of me, rushing to her and then taking her hand and twirling her.

                As I continued to calm those who were freaking out from the high, and settling down the curious ones, that only left tending gently to those who reacted in sadness. It was easier to tell who had experience with hallucinogenic drugs on the Arc, as they were happily enjoying the marvelous things that they were seeing and hearing. I myself had only nibbled on a few nuts, and had no effects thus far. Most likely they had hit me when I heard Dax’s voice and didn’t recognize him as the one tasked to kill Bellamy. I bowed my head at the awful yet recent memory.

                I felt a hand slip over my shoulder gently and I jumped nearly a foot.

                “Woah,” Octavia’s smooth voice calmed me. “Didn’t mean to scare you.”

                “Sorry, I’m on edge right now.” I told her, though I decided to keep the secret about Bellamy’s life threatening situation exactly that; a secret.

                She nodded, “Bell?”

                “Yeah.”

                “I need your help.”

                “With what?”

                “Getting Lincoln free.”

                “How?”

                “Look at everyone; no one will notice him sneak through if he is dressed like us.”

                “Got it.” I said quickly; who knew how long this high would last. We needed to get Lincoln out without anyone who wasn’t high noticing. That left Finn, Raven and Nova. However, I knew that Nova would not say a word nor try to stop us; she remained impartial in all these types of situations, and knew when to stand back and let things take their course. I envied her.

                I grabbed some clothing that had been discarded; some of those who were high were now in the “get naked” stage and were completely revealing themselves. It was an interesting site to see, but I couldn’t stop and get a chuckle out of it. No, I needed to get Lincoln out before Bellamy got back. If Bellamy got back.

                I couldn’t seem to stop the nagging feeling of dread in the back of my mind. Inching its way into my entire being, reminding me that I was useless in the aid of Bellamy’s life. Octavia deserved to know, but I had a feeling that her mind was not set on getting her brother back safe, but rather, getting Lincoln out safe. Bringing the clothes that I had found, I snuck up to the drop ship without anyone in their right minds seeing me. Octavia grinned, taking the clothes and beginning to dress Lincoln, whom she had untied before I got there.

                I ducked my eyes when I saw him passionately lock lips with Octavia. As if I were invading their privacy, I turned around, unsure of if I should leave them or wait until he was safely freed from the camp. My thoughts were answered when Lincoln swiftly climbed down the hatch while Octavia stood where he had been kissing her, her fingers on her lips and her doe eyes looking at where he stood as if he were still there.

                Regret filled my body as I hadn’t gotten the chance to give that look to Bellamy before he left.

Alrighty, so I think I am going to have a lot of chapters following this episode I am writing for (Day Trip) to be much more original story. This is because I need my character to heal, and the camp to grow like it does in the show. Plus, I've been following the story so much lately that I really need some of my own stuff in here again! Sound good? Good. I think the story will go to 50 chapters by the end of the season, and I will just keep writing original until I either want to end the story, or perhaps when the new season starts up.... Lemme know your thoughts!