Euphemism [Chapter 48]

“Wow…” I breathed, Bjorn still curled around me, his hands now on my hips. “That… That was amazing.”

                “That’s what they all say.” I could hear the smile in his voice, “When I show them how it’s done.”

                “And what might you be referring to?” I asked, turning around and finding myself pressed against Bjorn, my eyes at his chest. Tilting my head up, I glanced into his intimidating blue eyes, holding his gaze as if I couldn’t look away. In reality, I wasn’t sure if I could look away. His eyes were damn perfection. Almost no one on the Arc had eyes any colour other than brown, as it was a dominant gene.

                “This and that.” He avoided the question, leaving him more of a mystery than before.

                “So, archery is one of your skills.” I changed the subject; his perfection was making me feel so small and yet so attracted to him. “What else?”

                “I don’t want to give away all my secrets.” He grinned, “Not right before you have this arrow aimed at me.”

                “The war.” I recalled, blissfully have forgotten for a moment.

                “You should leave.” He said, “Go East.”

                “We won’t survive out there, not with winter coming.”

                “You won’t survive us.”

                “Then stop it.” I demanded.

                He shook his head, “We’ve exiled Lincoln.”

                “For sleeping with Octavia?”

                He made a face, “I think he was doing more than sleeping….”

                “It’s a euphemism for fucking.”

                “Oh.”

                “Tomorrow, you’ll be coming to kill us all?”

                “I’m an archer, I’ll be at the back. But yes.”

                It was such a weird world. Here I was, talking freely to the enemy during the short calm before warfare. Neither of us having any reason to kill each other, and yet we would soon part and be aiming at each other within a few hours. I wanted to warn him about the bridge, but I had a feeling that he would warn the rest, and they would cross early; before we were ready. At the moment, Raven was gathering the Hydrozene for the bomb that might possibly kill Bjorn.

                “We have more tricks up our sleeves, I’ll have you know.”

                The man raised an eyebrow, “Do you now?”

                I nodded, smiling lightly.

                He was still pressed close against me, and his hand lifted to my chin, tilting my neck back so that he could look down upon my face. The sun was in my eyes, so I was squinting ever so slightly. Bjorn lowered his head down and planted his lips on mine; it was gentle… much softer than I had expected from a Grounder, though I had never planned on finding out. Still, I couldn’t seem to push him away. Not because I wasn’t strong enough, but because I couldn’t move a muscle in my body; I was suddenly frozen in the kiss.