Search Party [Chapter 20]

I woke up, but this time not in Bellamy’s arms. He was standing in the tent, pulling a shirt over his head quickly. Something had disturbed him and I could see it in his brown eyes. Sitting up in the tent, I reached for my scattered clothing without saying a word. Once we were dressed, I pulled my hair into a messy bun and looked over at him. He grabbed his dagger and tucked it into his belt.

                “What’s going on?” I asked; I had fallen asleep moments after we had finished having sex, but I hadn’t been asleep for long. I could still hear people up and about outside of the thin tent fabric.

                “I didn’t see Octavia when we released the flares.” Bellamy said; the coldness in his voice reminded me of when he had told Octavia to leave.

                “You think she isn’t at camp?” I stuffed my feet into my brown boots and hobbled slightly, regaining my balance by using Bellamy’s arm.

                “I would have seen her.” He furrowed his brown and left the tent.

                Following after him quickly, I started to peak into tents, and check the perimeter to see if she had taken watch for the night. The camp wasn’t very large, so it didn’t take much to circle through, and when I reached the center again, Bellamy had consulted in Clarke.

                “It’s Octavia, she is probably chasing butterflies or something.” Clarke said rudely.

                I crossed my arms over my chest as I arrived, “Doubtful.”

                “Clarke, I’ve checked the camp.” Bellamy explained, “She’s not here.”

                “Okay.” She said, “I’ll help you find her.”

                As we searched over the camp once more, even more thoroughly than before, it was determined that Octavia was indeed not anywhere to be found in the camp. I began to worry that, like me, she had gotten lost when Bellamy sent her away. Except she didn’t have the luxury of Clarke and Finn finding her to get her back on track. I felt partially responsible for her disappearance; but I knew Bellamy was suffering the most guilt.

                As Bellamy gathered everyone around, he told them to grab a weapon, and whatever else they would need to bring. Everyone who was willing- and not already on watch- was heading out to find her, no matter what it took. I felt the dagger at my hip, but felt I needed something more trustworthy. Glancing down at a makeshift bow, I considered it, but knew it would take a lot of training before I could wield a bow; plus, it was handmade and would likely be the least accurate weapon. Instead, I grabbed what resembled a hatchet.

                Before we were able to even head out, the sky began to light up with bright white lights. I felt my stomach drop and my heart skip a beat. When Clarke confirmed my suspicions about it being bodies falling from the Arc, I left out a small gasp of despair.

                “No…” I whispered, but no one heard me over Raven shouting at Bellamy. Blaming him for taking the radio; I couldn’t defend him because it was his own doing. His guilt couldn’t grow anymore, I was sure of it.

                But Bellamy covered his guilt with his determination to find Octavia.

                I followed behind Bellamy, trying to keep up with his fast pace. He wanted to get away from everyone who was putting the blame on him; but they all had taken their wristbands off in the first place. Almost everyone was to blame.

                “Bellamy!” I shouted. “Bell, slow down.”

                Bellamy glanced over his shoulder, “Slowing down won’t save Octavia.”

                “No, but letting your rescue crew keep up will.”

                Bellamy turned around and waited for a moment; once the torch lights were in sight, he turned on his heels and continued to trek through the mossy forest. Despite the lack of sleep, I was wide awake from the adrenaline and the fear of losing another person; Octavia meant so much to Bellamy. I saw her as a friend as well.

                “I promised her.” Bellamy said.

                “What?”

                “I promised that I would never let her get hurt.”

                “Bellamy…” I cautioned; so far we knew nothing of what was going on. Octavia could easily be safe and sound somewhere. Perhaps she had found a bunker or something of the sorts and stayed in there. Perhaps she was toying with Bellamy, to get him back for turning her away the other day. But that didn’t seem like her at all. “We don’t know anything yet…”

                “I know that those Grounders have probably be watching us since we landed on Earth.”

                He was right; after what had happened with Jasper, I didn’t trust that the grounders would simply leave us be as long as we stayed on the proper side of the river. No; we were an invasive species that they had to keep contained. Catching one of us would mean they could learn so much about us.

                “Hey!” Someone shouted, and we rushed up ahead.

                “IS that Octavia’s?” The guy pointed down to something hanging in a tree down a steep cavern.

                “Rope.” Bellamy demanded, and he quickly tied it around his waist and began to repel down the hill. He confirmed that it was hers, and continued down to the bottom of the ravine. Jasper went down next, and shortly after I followed.

                “Someone else was here.” Bellamy said as Finn made his way down; Bellamy had found a substance that seemed to be blood, and heavy, large footprints.

                “The prints are deeper going that way.” Finn said, “He carried her.”

                “If they took her, she’s alive.” Jasper confirmed, “Like when they took me.”

                “Let’s go.” I said, rising and followed behind Bellamy and Finn. The rest of the group came down and we followed the prints.

                “I remember your face when it happened.” I said without thinking.

                “When what happened?” Bellamy asked.

                I paused, unsure if I wanted to bring it up. “When they found Octavia… at the Unity day masquerade ball.”

                Bellamy didn’t respond.

                “I’d never seen anyone look so worried about another human being… I’d never seen anyone care as much as you did. Still do.”

                Bellamy looked over at me, his eyes landing on mine. For a minute, I thought I saw the same caring look in his eyes, but was forced to look away as we entered what looked like a graveyard.

I can't believe this is chapter twenty already! I've written six more chapters ahead, so expect continued daily posts unless something comes up. But, along with that, I except the comments to continue and the votes too! With the comments, if you say something a bit more in depth (rather than "great" or "Love it") I will be a lot happier! Tell me what you like or didn't like, please!