Legend [Chapter 5]

Murphy and I neared Bellamy and Wells, just by chance, and I started in on their conversation, listening. Murphy seemed oblivious to the surroundings, not bothering to listen in, but I wondered if perhaps this was his ploy; playing oblivious when in truth he was listening to everything.

                As I listened in, it was clear that Bellamy was giving Wells some unfortunate truth.

                “When he’s around, she’ll never see you.” Bellamy said coldly, revealing to Wells that Clarke didn’t have eyes for him, at least not when Finn was around.

                I glanced up at Clarke who was up ahead, talking with Finn; more chipper than I had seen her since the drop ship landed on Earth. It was clear that she was taking the role of mother over these people, or perhaps leader. It wasn’t easy to tell, and I decided that she was unknowingly taking on both, which would be a heavy weight on her shoulders soon, if not already.

                I looked again at Bellamy and thought to myself, ‘and you’ll never see me’.

                Glancing down at my hands, I said a few harsh things to myself in order to quiet those thoughts. To many of the people here on Earth, I was seen as dangerous; but perhaps that would be something Bellamy sought out. However, having seen his choice in women last night, I figured he wouldn’t take another look at me.

                “Where the hell did Clarke go?” I asked suddenly, and everyone stopped to glance around.

                “Finn too.” Wells commented and I could feel the pain in his voice.

                “They probably just went up ahead.” Bellamy threw his input.

                I looked over at him, “Let’s just keep looking for signs of Jasper.”

                “Yes, ma’am.” Murphy said bitterly.

                I turned my eyes to him, a glare within. “Don’t call me ma’am.”

                “What would you prefer?” He snarled back.

                “How about my name?” I suggested hardly.

                “Can you two stop it?” Wells rose his voice. “There are more important things to deal with.”

                A sudden shout stopped all arguments; Clarke and Finn had found traces of blood, and Jasper’s goggles. It was a sure clue that he had been taken through that area, and that we were getting close. I pulled the dagger from my belt and gripped it, following behind the group and constantly checking all around us; if we were being brought into a trap, then we had to at least be aware of it. A loud groan echoed through the entire forest, or so it seemed.

                “Jasper!” Clarke cried out, picking up her pace.

                When we found the guy, he was tied up on a tree like bait. I studied the scene, baffled by how he was still alive. By the way Clarke made it sound, an arrow had gone right through his chest; it must have missed his heart by mere millimetres. Whoever had done it, had great aim, and was probably smarter than any of us combined, when it came to Earth at least.

                “Get him down.” Someone said.

                As Clarke took a few steps forward, the ground caved from below her feet. It was Bellamy who caught her, gripping firmly on her arm, holding her there for a moment. I looked inwards, seeing the spike-tipped poles that had been planted beneath; so it was a trap. But was it for us or something else?

                My questions were answered quickly, as something large and dark slipped through the long grass on the other side of the tree. Before I could even speak, gun fire sounded; but it wasn’t coming from Bellamy’s gun. Well, it was, but it was not fired from Bellamy’s hand.

                It was Wells that brought the large cat-like creature to its death. I flinched, looking at the creature as it heaved before the breath stopped completely. Of course, it was coming at us to kill us, eat us for dinner surely, but I still disliked seeing such a beautiful creature fall. It was going to be dinner for the kids from the Arc, and Bellamy and Murphy were ecstatic about that.

                But when we returned to the camp, walls were being put up to keep us safe from what the kids were now calling “grounders”, and kids were ready to do anything for food. Bellamy knew that, and used his kill, which was truly Wells’ kill, and forced them to remove the wrist bands for food. I watched, unsure if I was impressed or disgusted by his actions; these kids’ families were thinking they were dropping dead whenever they took the wrist band off, but hardly anyone hesitated.

                When everyone had gotten a share, those who removed their wrist bands or those who stole a bite like Clarke, Bellamy walked over to me. I was straddling the same log as I was before, and Bellamy took a seat, handing me a stick of over-cooked meat.

                “I don’t have to take my wrist band off?” I asked quizzically.

                Bellamy half smiled, and chuckled lightly, “Whatever the hell we want, right?”

                “Right.” I said, lowering my eyes, “Well, I appreciate the gesture.”

                “You won’t take it?” He asked.

                “I don’t eat meat.” I explained.

                “You nearly killed a man, and you don’t eat meat?”

                “He deserved it, the animal doesn’t.” I snarled.

                “There is a lot of controversy about what you did; what is truth and what is myth?”

                I smiled, “You make it sound like I’m some legend.”

                “You kind of are.” He admitted.

                “To you?” I asked, “Or to everyone?”

                “I can’t speak for everyone.” He said quietly.

                I took this as a compliment. “You really want to know what happened?”

                “I’ve heard my fair share of rumours.” He said, “I want to hear your side.”

                “That’s a first.” I said slightly too sharply, and lowered my eyes a bit. “No one ever wants to hear my side; it was always ‘my fault’ and I ‘had it coming’.”

                “I may not be the best influence or role model, but I don’t think anyone deserves what happened to you.” He said gently.

                For the first time, I realized that there was a soft side to Bellamy that was present for people other than his sister. He did everything he could to build his walls and keep himself and Octavia safe, even when it meant being sent to Earth to protect her. Now he was revealing that side to me, and I began to, once again, question myself and had to put my emotions in check. 

Thank you to those who have voted and commented! Keep it up and I will continue to post daily! xo