Bloody and Bruised [Chapter 41]

Lincoln left to find Octavia, who was supposed to bring Clarke to the bridge.

                A man came to my side while I waited; I was outside, no longer forced to sit on the hard floor of the gloomy medical ward. He crouched down and poked at the fire. Even though it was daylight, they still had them burning, tossing on a log here and there. Smoke funneled up towards the bluish sky, and sparks were spat out by the protesting logs.

                I was slightly nervous around him, but his mask was off and it was clear to see that his features were sharp, bold even. He was very handsome, just as Lincoln was. His eyes darted to the side, staring at me staring at him.

                “What?” He asked, his tone velvety.

                “Nothing.” I retorted, though I continued to look into his eyes just as he did with me.

                “I see why Lincoln keeps going back.”

                “What did you just say?” I asked, my voice almost light and airy.

                “You heard me.”

                He was right; I did hear him.

                “What did you mean?” I ran my hands through my slick hair; I really needed to shower.

                “Your kind’s women are a lot more attractive than ours.”

                I blushed, “Anya is gorgeous.”

                The man scoffed, “Next you’ll be telling me to bring flowers to Dani. She’d rip my head off.”

                I narrowed my eyes, “You’re not so bad yourself.”

                The man had a dark blonde hair, but the sides were shaven and he had it pulled back into a long braid, some dreadlocks were tangled within as well. His facial hair was the same colour, and quite long. However it was his piercing blue eyes that seemed to be looking right through me as if I were transparent that really captivated me.

                “What’s going to happen to me?” I asked him then.

                He raised his eyebrows in question, “That isn’t my call.”

                “Surely you have some idea… After seeing what you have done to my friend…”

                The man howled, “You exiled him, he is ours. We captured you; we can use you as a bargaining chip, but not if you are bloody and bruised.”

                “Yeah, well, I’ve been bloody because of you.” I meant ‘you’ plural, of course, not putting the blame of my ankle on him in particular.

                “Chances are, we’ll keep you.” He explained, “I can’t see the rest of you making it…”

                I gaped at him, “What… Why?”

                “Anya isn’t much of a negotiator.”

                “I won’t let them die.” I said, feeling antsy.

                “Not much you can do, Kiddo.” He rose to his feet and turned on his booted heel, striding off into the dense forest.