Chaos [Chapter 14]

Just as I had expected it to be the minute I was put on the drop ship and found that it was going to bring us to Earth, there was only going to be chaos. Jasper had nearly been killed, two people were still missing and presumed dead, two had died in the drop ship before even reaching Earth. Murphy had nearly been killed for a crime that he did not commit, and Wells had been murdered by a girl who looked no older than twelve.

                Chaos.

                I looked at the young girl as they brought her away from the raging crowd; Murphy was clear that he wanted his revenge by having Charlotte hung. Eye for an eye was a system that never worked. If followed through, no one would remain with an eye to see. The crowd followed Clarke, Finn, Bellamy and Charlotte, and I watched from the crowd as they disappeared into the tent. My goal was to remain relatively neutral; my gut feeling about Murphy not having killed Wells had been right, and guilt flowed through me as I hadn’t done more to stop Bellamy.

                “Bring the girl out now, Bellamy!” Murphy shouted.

                Bellamy came out of the tent, and I watched with a lump in my throat.

                “Well, well, well, look who decided to join us.” Murphy walked up cockily to Bellamy.

                “Dial it down and back off.” Bellamy said.

                “What are you gonna do about me? Hang me?” Murphy challenged.

                “I was just giving the people what they wanted.” Bellamy declared.

                “Yeah… Yeah that’s a good idea.” Murphy said, then turned to the crowd, “So who here wants to see the real murdered hung up?”

                Though not many people were on board to hanging a child, though there were some, and Murphy was livid.

                “Murphy! It’s over!” Bellamy shouted at Murphy, but Murphy wasn’t going to have it, and swung a heavy punch at Bellamy, knocking him to his feet. When Octavia came livid after him, Jasper was punched for trying to defend her. Murphy pushed him aside and then turned to find Charlotte and the others were no longer in the tent.

                I rushed to Bellamy’s aide despite my cut hand, hoping he wouldn’t notice, and helped him to his feet. He pushed me off of him and took off behind those who had taken off after Charlotte.

                “Bellamy!” I called to him before he ran after everyone. “You can’t go out there.”

                “Charlotte is out there.” He declared.

                “You’re going to get yourself killed!”

                “I can’t let them just kill her.” He said, and then he noticed my hand. “You’re bleeding everywhere.”

                “Yeah…” I said quietly, pulling my hand away, trying to hide it. “It’s nothing.”

                “You need stitches.”

                “No, I’m coming with you to find Charlotte before they kill her.” I decided.

                “No you’re not.” Bellamy said.

                I gritted my teeth, “Bellamy…” I warned.

                “Octavia, can you help Ava?” He called to his sister.