The Arc [Chapter 66]

Though the trip to find the Arc was completely out of the way in regards to the ocean we had initially been seeking, we had decided that it would be in our best interest to gather as many people as we could. Plus, it was a shorter journey to the Arc than it was to the ocean. We were all kept on our toes; there were Mountain Men, Reapers, and probably Grounders still out and about, seeking and searching for something; the Arc most likely.

                “The lake is not far now.” Lincoln said; we all needed to wash up and gather more water.

                “We cannot stay there long.” Bjorn added, “If the survivors are on the move, we have to move fast to catch up with them.”

                “I hardly doubt they would leave the Arc; supplies and shelter are important here.” Octavia added.

                “Parents might want to search for their children…” I said, thinking of Bellamy. If those parents found the camp, surely they had our coordinates up on the Arc, they would see the ocean of bones and burnt bodies, and would likely give up hope.

                We had to reach them before they saw that.

                Every part of my being wanted to find Bellamy; to go to the Mountain Men and demand that they release my friends. I considered many of them family too; Novalee especially. I wondered if she survived the initial battle itself; she was small and hardly had a mean bone in her body. A smile fell upon my dry, chapped lips as I thought of her. Such a kind person, despite all that she had suffered and survived on the Arc and on Earth. She never had peace.

                “Be careful entering the clearing.” Lincoln cautioned, “Bjorn and I will go first.”

                I watched as Bjorn and Lincoln, both with their masks covering their faces, exited the wall that was trees. The sunlight burned overhead perfectly, shining down over the lake; I could see the sparkle of the water through the edge of the trees. Octavia leaned on me, and I put my arm around her to give her some more support.

                “Do you think they are still alive?” She asked me, for the tenth time that morning.

                “Not everyone… But many of them.” I said, losing enthusiasm each time I said the words. It became harder and harder to believe when we knew such little of the Mountain Men.

                “Come on out.” I heard Bjorn call to us.

                Just as she had helped me walk when my ankle had been butchered, I assisted Octavia into the clearing on the edge of the lake. The sunlight was almost blinding as we stepped out from the safety of the trees. In front of us, the lake glimmered like diamonds in the sun, sparkling and dazzling. However beautiful it was, there was only one thing that caught my attention; a giant piece of metal.

                It was part of the Arc.

                “Octavia…” I started, “That’s it…”

                “The Arc.” She said, “Or… part of it.”

                We began to walk around the large, circular lake, moving closer to the Arc. It was far in the distance, and I couldn’t tell if there was anyone there or not. Most likely they were within the confides of the large, metal container. My heart pounded and my stomach twisted; I hardly knew these people but they had come to Earth for a new start, just as I had. We were alike in so many ways. I looked over at the two Grounders, both taking off their masks to reveal that they were human, just like us.

                “How do we approach them?” Octavia asked, “Tell them that their children are lost… dead…”

                “We don’t know who is in there.” I said, “Maybe none of them had children on the ground.”

                “Unlikely.”

                “I know.”

                When we were only a few hundred yards away, I watched as someone emerged from the top of the Arc, then a few more people followed. A nervous lump filled my throat and I suddenly couldn’t breathe; these people didn’t know me, they didn’t understand me like the Hundred did. They had become my family, the people I trusted. Could I trust these people at all?

                Octavia began to wave, both hands high in the air, moving frantically. That caught the attention of the people on the Arc; they waved back, cautiously though. One person climbed down as we moved quicker to greet them. They knew that there were others on Earth, dangerous others, and probably couldn’t tell if we were friend or foe from that distance.

                As we neared, I noticed that it was Marcus Kane. The hairs on the back of my neck rose; he had been on the counsel when I had been imprisoned. Climbing behind him was a woman; Abby perhaps. We arrived at the damaged and battered portion of the Arc, meeting eye to eye with Abby and Kane. A smile was forced onto my lips, though my lips were pressed tightly together as I studied Kane.

                “You made it…” Abby said, “How many of you are there left?”

                Octavia and I glanced at each other, then back at Bjorn and Lincoln, who lingered a ways back, uneasy and untrusting. “We aren’t sure…”

                “Wait, you aren’t a scouting party?” She asked, “Is my daughter… Is Clarke alive?”

                I looked up at the sky, not wanting to explain to this desperate woman who only wanted to see her child living and breathing and in the flesh that said child might be dead. I honestly had no idea, but that was not what she wanted to hear.

                Truth hurts.

                “There was a war…” I explained, “We aren’t sure who is still alive.”

                Abby widened her eyes, leaning onto Kane for support as her eyes glazed over, shaking her head mechanically. “Clarke…”

                “She is probably alive…” Octavia added.

                “Take me to the camp…” She demanded then, straightening up and holding back her emotions. Abby was clearly a strong woman, I could see it passed to Clarke as well.

                “There isn’t much left of it…” I told her.

                “Please.” She begged.

                There was a small part of me that felt incomplete. I knew my chances of seeing Bellamy again were slim, even with the people from the Arc at our side. I knew how Abby felt; not knowing if her daughter was alive as I had no idea if Bellamy still walked the Earth. I had no idea if any of them were still alive.

                “We’ll take you there.” I told her, without consulting with anyone else.

I've written up to chapter 69! I can't believe this story has come this far, it's truly amazing that I was able to get such great readers. All the comments and votes really helped me out!
As for my Marvel Universe story, it is currently full! Check it out when you have time!