Secret [Chapter 6]

The stars were out, but they were not so familiar from down here; though I knew which one was the Arc. Never once in my life had I thought I would be looking up at the Arc from Earth, as if it were some satellite; tiny and insignificant in the sky. It was a relief to no longer be on that scrap of metal in space; on Earth I could move, breathe, and feel alive all for the first time.

                I almost forgot that Bellamy was still there, staring at me as if I were some foolish day dreamer.

                I flushed, though it was dark and I figured Bellamy wouldn’t noticed the subtle change in my skin colour.

                “What?” Bellamy asked, having noticed exactly what I had hoped he wouldn’t.

                “I’m just surprised that you are still here.” I said.

                “Why’s that?”

                “Last time you came near me, it was to get me out of the drop ship so you could have a nice fuck.”

                “Well, you can join me next time, if you want.” He said cockily.

                I grinned, “That’s tempting, Blake.”

                “Yeah?” He asked.

                “Maybe.” I toyed, then swung my leg over the tree trunk, nearly kicking Bellamy in the head, but just missing him by an inch. With a hint of sass in my walk, I lost myself in the crowd of people; all of them seemed happier and more enlightened now that they had eaten something. I will still hungry, and I knew I would need something to keep me going. The moon offered enough light for me to see what was around me, though everything seemed remarkably dark.

                As I wandered deeper, I found that the forest was glowing; the fungi had light up as if by neon, but it was entirely natural. Or, as natural as anything was after a nuclear war. I crouched down and ran my finger over the top of a mushroom, but the glow didn’t transmit to my hands. Though it looked delicious, I didn’t trust eating the radioactive mushrooms all that much, but I used the light if offered to gather what looked like berries.

                The taste of them was sweet, which meant it was safe, or at least would have before the war. I was well aware that our ancestors knew if something was safe to eat if it were sweet. Bitterness and sourness usually meant poison, or at least proceed with caution. Knowing that surviving on Earth for much longer was slim anyways, I was willing to take the chance with the sweet red berries that looked like a mix of salmon berry and raspberry, though I had never had either of them to judge the taste.

                A shout caught my attention, and I decided to check it out, though after watching 150 year old horror films, I knew that it was always a bad idea to investigate. But the hundred who were sent to Earth were my family now, and the more of us alive, the better to fend off the grounders that weren’t too fond of us. Gripping the knife that Bellamy had given me, I walked along through the trees; when the glowing stop, the shouting grew louder.

                It was Atom.

                “Hey, you!” He shouted at me.

                I scoffed, “The names Ava.”

                “Get me down from here! I’m live fuckin’ bait out here.” He wriggled in his makeshift bonds.

                “Depends why you are up there in the first place.”

                “Bellamy being a complete dick.” He growled, “Come on, cut me down.”

                “Is he planning to come back for you?”

                “I have no fucking idea!” Atom called, “Even if I make it through the night without being skinned alive by grounders, doesn’t mean he will come back for me.”

                “I’ll make sure he does.” I said, then glanced around; he must have been there for a while, as no one was in sight.

                Though I wasn’t surprised by Bellamy’s actions of tying Atom up, for whatever reason, I was surprised at myself for not even digging into the reason why. Surely if Bellamy’s reasoning wasn’t just, I would have cut Atom down, but I didn’t give him the chance to tell me what it was. Since he didn’t bother telling me, I decided that it was something that was deserving of being hung from a tree for a night.

                “Who’s there?” I heard Bellamy’s voice; he was taking first watch.

                I saw he was alone, and raised my hands up to reveal that I was not here to hurt him; if he mistook me as a grounder, well, one of us would end up hurt.

                “Just me.” I said gently, keeping quiet as we were outside of the camp walls, which were still being built.

                “What are you doing out here?”

                I held up some of the berries that I had found, then grabbed one with my other hand and slipped in between my lips, savouring the sweet flavour.

                “Where’d you find those?”

                “Near the glowing forest.” I said with a smile, stepping closer to the man, looking into his dark eyes. “Want one?”

                “They aren’t poisonous?”

                “I’m still alive, aren’t I?”

                Bellamy studied me, and then nodded, “Sure.”

                I grabbed one of the plump red berries and brought it to my lips, holding it gently as to not mush it. I stepped closer to Bellamy and slipped one arm behind his neck, pulling his head down so that I was able to press my lips to his. Using my pierced tongue, I pushed the berry between his lips, feeling his own tongue on mine. I could feel his lips finding mine, the kiss turning into something as he swallowed the berry, freeing his mouth for me. His lips kissed back, and his hands found my hips, sipping slightly down over to my ass, pulling me closer in the swift and sly action.

                I opened my eyes as the kiss concluded, and I found Bellamy’s looking down over me, studying me. He was surprised by my actions, that was clear, but there was something else in his eyes that I couldn’t pin point. Perhaps distrust? Was I only doing this because he was leader? Or perhaps he thought I was only doing it to figure out his secret.

                My secret was that I wasn’t.

Starting to get more feedback, thank you so much! I will dedicate chapters to those who vote, comment, and message! If it starts getting more popular, I can't promise everyone will get a chapter dedicated to them, but for now that is how I'm doing things. If you message or comment, you will for sure get a dedication!  xox

Also, enjoy the fan video (not made by me) in the youtube link :)