Promises [Chapter 27]

Once everyone was within the safety of the drop ship, it was up to those of us who had some authority to get everyone to settle down. No one liked being crammed that close to one another, but the storm was not our friend. Anyone who was starting fights or causing trouble, was told that they could leave the drop ship and take their chances in the storm. The threat, though not coming from me but Raven, seemed to have its intended effect.

                “Arc Station, this is Raven Reyes of Mecca station.” Raven pleaded with the crackle of the radio that she had built. “Does anybody copy?!”

                Her voice was filled with despair, and as I looked over at Finn, I could only imagine how she was feeling.

                Sitting in my hammock with my wounded leg propped in the fabric and my other dangling over the edge, I scanned the room. Everyone seemed to have settled down, some even lied down and tried to sleep. Sleep unfortunately evaded me as I thought about what was going on in the upper level of the drop ship. Octavia had gone up there, but had been forcefully sent back down.

                As she sauntered over to me, her knee still injured, she had a pained look in her perfect eyes.

                “They’ve tied him up…” She said, “Threatening him to answer their questions that he doesn’t even understand.”

                Before I could reply, the startling crackle of someone on the other end of the radio silenced the entire drop ship. Raven stared stunned for a moment, and quickly tried to reply, but the storm raging outside seemed to cause static to fill the air yet again.

                “Raven!” Clarke cried.

                “It’s not the radio, it’s the storm!” Raven snapped back; both of them at the end of their ropes, trying to both cling onto Finn as if life support. And yet, he was the one who needed the life support.

                The voice, a woman’s, came through the radio again; crackly, but clear as day to Clarke.

                “Mom?” She said quietly.

                “Clarke?!” the voice called through the speakers.

                “Mom, you have to help us…” She said.

                Things seemed to blur by as Clarke explained Finn’s situation to her mother, Abby. I recognized the voice and recalled being checked out by Abby after my incident with the guard. She had wanted him to be floated, but the rest of the council agreed that a guard’s life was worth more than mine. She wasn’t permitted to check to see if I had truly been raped, but she gave me a pill that would kill off any infection or pregnancy that might have occurred.

                Octavia was pacing now, her hands running through her blood stained hair. I watched her flawless movements, thinking about how alike her and Bellamy were in some situations, and yet so different; they clashed like fire and ice. Octavia seemed so innocent, and yet wished she wasn’t. Bellamy had no innocence left, but perhaps desired a clean slate.

                Time seemed to crawl by; in my injured state I was unable to move around fast enough to help anyone. Octavia had gone to the middle level of the drop ship to get some sleep, though Nova had fallen asleep in a seat. In a moment of being cut off from the Arc, Clarke had run through and checked to see if anyone else was injured; she prescribed me a few days of rest. Nova helped me into a comfortable position, balancing my ankle above the level of my heart to slow to blood flow to that area.

                A menacing rumble came from the weather outside just as Clarke was gripping onto the dagger that was imbedded into Finn’s ribcage. Was everything on this planet trying to kill us?

                My answer came when a tree landed on the drop ship, penetrating the metal walls that kept us safe, and tilting the whole thing sideways. I toppled out of my hammock, landing hard on my stomach and bruising a few ribs. My hands were quick though and I was able to slow myself down using my hands. Groaning, I pulled myself up into a kneel and looking around at the scene. Most of the hundred were in the upper level of the ship, while the wounded hung around in the bottom level. I didn’t want to know what Bellamy was doing to the Grounder on the top floor.

                Nova rushed to my aid, but stopped when the hatch opened and Bellamy came down. Hand over hand, Bellamy dropped to the floor before finishing the descent. He came towards me and lifted me up with Nova’s help. Her small stature was hardly enough to lift me, she was evidently grateful that Bellamy had come to assist.

                “Thank you.” I whispered dully, looking into his eyes for some sign of human nature.

                “Are you okay?” He asked, standing directly in front of me and placing his hands on my thighs.

                I nodded, “You look like you need some rest, Bell.”

                He shook his head, “Look at this.” He opened his arms to show that state in which we were living in. “This is all his fault.”

                “Yes, the Grounder caused the hurricane.” I rolled my eyes bitterly.

                “Look at your leg!” He rose his voice.

                “Forgive and forget.” I replied, trying to stay calm; we were already drawing attention our way.

                “Can you forgive that guard? Can you forget that he raped you?” He crossed a line asking that.

                I gaped at him. Despite the crowded mind of mine, I was able to smoothly reply. “I did what needed to be done, and moved on. I grew stronger, I accepted what happened to me and moved on.”

                “I’m doing what needs to be done, Ava.”

                “Finn’s alive.” I said suddenly, almost forgetting how our conversation had just ended, “Clarke did it.”

                “Good.” Bellamy said.

                I hopped off of the hammock, landing on my good foot and leaning on Nova for help. Bellamy looked almost hurt that I chose her assistance over his. Regardless, he followed beside us until we reached Finn. Raven and Clarke had gotten him back on the operating table after he took a tumble. But the dagger was out and his wound was bandaged in what looked like a relatively clean shirt. We lacked medical supplies. Of course, if we had them, Clarke could have possibly done this without contacting the Arc.

                “Can you stop this nonsense now, Bellamy?” I asked, a hint of pleading in my voice.

                Bellamy’s face was tight and I couldn’t read a single emotion aside from anger, which burned like fire behind his irises.

                “No.” He replied. “He hurt Octavia, and I promised to keep her safe.”    

                “You’re not the only one who made promises to Octavia.” I spat. “She asked me to make sure you didn’t hurt him, or kill him.”

                “Don’t make promises that you can’t keep.” He sighed, turning on his heel and heading back up to the top of the drop ship.

Thanks for reading! The pic on the side is Kandle Osborne, a singer from Canada (Montreal). I am using her to portray Novalee, but I can't add her to the cast because she isn't known in Wattpad database or whatever. Anyways, comment and votes are always appreciated!