Crime Pays [Chapter 28]

“I can’t fucking believe him.” I whined to Nova.

                It had been years since I had been able to truly complain about a boy to someone. I was in solitary when I was Confined due to me being a potential danger to cell mates. I never had anyone to talk to about the traumatic incident. I had no shoulder to cry on. However, I wouldn’t have gone back and changed it; it toughened me more than I could imagine. But now, it felt good to be able to vent about Bellamy.

                Using crutches, I hobbled along with Nova as she was gathering what could be salvaged from the storm; many of the tents were caught in trees and had some holes, but they were almost all in good enough condition to set them up again. Though, some had gone completely and now we were going to have to cram even more people into the tents.

                “I get where he is coming from; I saw the look in my mother’s eyes when she killed my father. There was so much anger, but I could see that she was doing it only to keep me safe.” She said, “She was blinded by her hatred and disgust to try something a little more… tactical.”

                “Like what?” I asked Nova.

                “File for divorce?”

                “Those are nearly impossible to get approved.”

                “Still, she had good enough reason; and my father could have been floated the crimes he caused.”

                “But wouldn’t you as well?” I asked, “If they knew what you had been doing…”

                “Yeah, I guess…” She breathed coolly. “Regardless, everyone of my bloodline was killed and I was sent here to die.”

                “We aren’t dead yet.” I smiled.

                A silence filled the air between us, though the noises of the Earth and of the hundred cleaning up still surrounded us.

                “Do you think you would have been given a second chance on the Arc? After your retrial?”

                I looked over at the blonde, her large eyes making her look so young, but the dark colour underneath that seemed to never fade aged her slightly. “In the last six months, no one has been given a second chance; everyone was floated.”

                “Okay, well say the oxygen levels were stable then.” She said, “Theoretically.”

                “I don’t think so.” I replied, “I was a threat to society, apparently. I don’t think they would let me walk free with that guard still wandering around. I’d kill him if I saw him.”

                “Sometimes crime pays.” She said.

                As I wrapped my mind around what she had said, I realized how right she was. Not many people committed crimes just on a whim; usually they were for a deeper reason that only they might be able to comprehend. Regardless, there was always a reason, a way to come out on top in regards to committing a crime. Especially on the Arc, where any crime was punishable by death. Perhaps that was why more youths committed crimes than adults, their chances of being pardoned were there.

                “Ava!” Bellamy called from another side of the camp.

                I felt Nova’s eyes burn into me, wondering if I wanted to face him. I nodded slightly, and she helped turn me around. Bellamy was jogging up to me, then slowed into a halt when he was a few feet away.

                “What?” I asked, trying to stay mad at him, but having a hard time when his eyes fell on me.

                “Can I talk to you?” He glanced at Nova, “Alone…”

                “Fine.” I said, detaching from Nova, who took off to continue cleaning up the camp and lending a helping hand here and there where she could. When Bellamy and me were alone –or as alone as you could be in a communal camp- I looked up at him from my slouched position, “Well?”

                “I know you’re mad at me.” He started, and when I didn’t deny it he continued, “I’m doing what I have to, to keep Octavia and, and everyone here safe.”

                “Bringing a Grounder here will not keep us safe, Bellamy. If they find out he is missing, however they live their lives, they will come down on us and ruin us. If we harm him, they won’t spare us.”

                “You don’t know that; he was alone when we found him. Perhaps an outcast. If he can give us any insight on the others, we might be okay. All I want is to keep everyone here safe, you and Octavia especially. I’ll risk my life for you.”

                “What?!” I said in a whispered shout.

                “You heard me.”

                I was stunned by his words. At first, I wondered if he was spewing me a load of bullshit simply to get me to forgive him for what he had done. There was hardly any way to tell, but I decided to go with the idea that he was telling me the truth. I wanted nothing more than to hear those words come from Bellamy’s lips; I wanted him to care about me the way that no one had before.

                “Bellamy, I…” I paused, unsure how to respond, “I understand where you are coming from… but I don’t want you to get hurt.”

                “I won’t.” He said, a strained look in his eyes.

                He placed his hand under my chin, holding my head gently as he leaned in to press his lips to mine. I kissed back, leaning on his chest for support and sinking into him like a rock in the ocean. My head was swimming as he stepped closer, placing one foot between both of mine, his free hand now gripping my hips and holding my tightly. The man sure knew how to kiss.

                “Bellamy!” Clarke screamed, “Finn’s been poisoned!”

                Bellamy released me from his hold and rushed over towards the drop ship. Nova was by my side within a split second and tucked underneath my arm, helping me towards the drop ship. I was shaking my head; how could anyone believe that the Grounder wasn’t so bad if he had poisoned Finn. If Spacewalker died, the Grounder died. I was almost sure of that.

                Nova assisted me with ease; we had gotten used to the feel of one another and fit nicely together. She seemed to love helping me, even when I told her that she could leave me be, she insisted that she stay by my aid. Before we could reach the drop ship, Octavia came running out to us in a frantic state.

 “Ava, you have to stop him!” She sobbed.

I was unsure how far my power over Bellamy stretched, but I had to at least try.

Wow, I'm surprised I can even still post! I've been working seven days a week for about a month now, and I got called in today to work both my jobs -_- Trying to write as much as I can, but my posting is slowly catching up with my writing. But, the future chapters have some heated, intense moments! Comment and vote!