Ch.45

Camryn's POV

It was finally lunch time, so my class walked to the cafeteria in a single file line. Once we arrived, I chatted with Audrey in line while waiting to get our food. After getting our food, we looked around the enormous sitting area, searching for an open table. Since we're considered the younger half of the school, we get to eat lunch before the older kids, which was more comforting than having the entire school together at one time. They were still some older kids, but not too much older than us. 

"Hey, there's an empty table." Audrey said, nodding in the direction of the open table. We went over to the table and placed our trays down before sitting. 

"So what do you think of your first day here?" Audrey asked. 

"I like it." I said before taking a bite of my mashed potatoes. 

"That's it?" Audrey asked. 

"Yeah." I shrugged. "It's nice."

"You don't talk much do you? Well I'm the opposite. My Dad calls me Chatty Cathy, because I talk a lot. He says I get it from my Mum." Audrey said. I couldn't help but giggle before taking another bite. Even though she was a bit overwhelming in the beginning, I really like Audrey. She has the exact opposite personality from me, but I think that's what makes us work out as friends. She's made my first day much less scary than I thought it would be, and I'm super thankful for that. 

"My parents weren't very talkative either. I guess that's where I got it from." I hummed. 

"You mean aren't." Audrey corrected me. Right, she didn't know much about me. Guess I have to explain that I was, in fact, correct with my usage of grammar there. 

"No, weren't." I shook my head, smiling sadly with my eyes cast down towards my tray. "They passed away almost a year ago." I said. For the very first time all day, Audrey was speechless. She lost the usual twinkle in her eyes while looking at me sadly. I wasn't upset about it, because obviously she didn't know. It just still feels unreal when the words leave my mouth. 

"I'm so sorry." Audrey said softly. "I had no idea."

"No, I know. It's okay." I smiled reassuringly. "So how long have you and Max been going here?" I asked, eager to change the subject. 

"Since pre-school." Audrey said, perking up again. 

"That's cool." I smiled. "So you know basically everyone then?" 

"Not really." She shrugged. "I know of pretty much everyone, but when I really try to get to know them they don't seem interested in getting to know me." She admitted. My heart broke a little for her. Audrey is one of the nicest people I've ever met. It hurt me to know that she didn't have any real friends. 

"Well people can be really mean. I think they're missing out on having a friend like you, because you're really sweet and funny." I said seriously. Audrey broke out in an ear to ear smile, beaming from my compliment.

"Thanks, Camryn. You're really sweet too." She said. 

"Thanks!" I smiled and continued eating my food. 

"So, do you have a crush on anyone?" Audrey asked out of the blue, nearly making me choke on my food. Just play it cool. Remember what Elsa taught you. Conceal, don't feel. Don't let her know. 

"No, I don't really know anyone yet. Why?" I asked. Smooth, Camryn, smooth. 

"Because it looks like you have a crush on Ryan." She said nonchalantly. How did she know?! Was I seriously that obvious? I mean I know I'm a little rusty, but that's just embarrassing.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." She said, as if she were reading my mind. I'm sure my face told her everything.

"Okay so now that you know mine, who's yours?" I asked curiously. 

"No one." She said. I raised my eyebrow at her unconvinced. 

"No, really." She giggled. "I've only ever liked on boy, and he moved last year. You should talk to Ryan more. He's really sweet, and he comes over my house all the time because of Max, so you should come over too!" 

"I'd love to go over to your house, but I don't know about Ryan. Niall and the boys would never let me have a boyfriend." I sighed. 

"Well you don't have to tell them." Audrey smirked. She had a point. If I really liked him after getting to know him, and obviously if he liked me back, then why not? What they don't know won't kill them, right? The ringing of the school bell pulled me from my thoughts. 

"My class, throw away your trash and line up." Mrs. Deegan announced. Audrey and I quickly did as we were told and got in line, only to be shoved into by some crazy boys. 

"Hey, watch it!" Audrey said. 

"You three, end of the line." Mrs. Deegan told the unruly boys. 

"What's got them so excited?" I asked while rubbing my arm. 

"It's recess time." Audrey said while rolling her eyes. "All the boys get super annoying this time of day, because they want to be the first ones out the door."

"Aren't we all going to the same place?" 

"Exactly." Audrey said while we started following the kids in front of us. 

"Do you wanna play something?"Audrey asked after we finally got outside. It felt good to be outside after being trapped inside all day. Don't get me wrong, I like this school, but I needed some fresh air. 

"Sure." I nodded. "What do you wanna play?" 

"How about the swings?" She asked. 

"Yeah I love swings." I smiled. 

"Race you there?" 

"Loser pushes first!" I giggled and took off. 

"Hey!" Audrey giggled and ran after me. Even thought Audrey and I met a couple hours ago, I already felt like I'd known her forever. It was fun to have a friend my age again. I can already visualize my brother telling me he told me so when he picks me up. Oh, well. In this case, I'm glad he was right, and I'm glad I have Audrey.