Chapter 49

Finn's POV

While awaiting for the jury's decision, I was texting Rachel. She seemed really jittery earlier, I don't blame her, who in their right mind would want to see Brody?

Murmurs filled the air, I just wanted them to send him to prison for life and be done with it.

You would think a court house would be safe considering how many police officers there are, but I heard a gun go off.

I jump from my seat and look around the large room, I don't think the firing came from here, but I still check.

Instead of remaining in my seat like the officers were asking, my husband instincts kick in and drag me out of the room.

"Rachel?" I call out once I was in the hallway.

My eyes watch an officer haul Brody to the ground, but why?

Then I see it. My wife on the floor behind them. People are running away from the situation but I find myself rushing to Rachel's aid.

She was shot in middle of her abdomen and was bleeding uncontrollably.

"Rachel!!" I'm holding her hand, her eyes are swaying all around the room.

"F-finn..." She darts her eyes up at me, trying to understand what just happened.

"I'm here, hold on until help comes, okay?"

No answer.

"Okay, Rachel?!" I scream with hot tears zipping down my face.

"Okay...but Finn?" She's also crying, but it's harder for her because she has a hole in her chest.

"Yes, Rach?" I cup her face.

"Thank you so so much for the life you gave me. I wouldn't of done it any better myself." She whispers while placing her hand on my warm cheek.

"No stop!! Your not gonna die, your gonna make it, you always do."

I hear the squeaking noise of the paramedics shoes, yet I don't move from her side. Will I ever get to kiss her again?

I don't want to make a decision that I might regret for the rest of my life so I pull my lips to hers and kiss her harder than I ever have.

She kisses back with all the little strength she has left.

"I love you." I whisper with my lips a centimeter away from hers.

"I love you more."

The arms of a man pull me away from my bleeding wife. My best friend, true love, greatest joy and mother of my children.

She can't leave me like this.

They take her away on a stretcher, with her body aching and wincing in pain.

Before going to the hospital, I see Brody about 20 yards away with multiple officers not really sure what to do.

I know what to do.

My fist finds his face, I made sure to punch him with my left hand so that my wedding ring would hit his jaw. Triple the pain.

I then turn back to the direction Rachel left in and sprint to my car in the middle of the parking lot.

Rachel, don't leave me.

Rachel, I love you.

Rachel, what about our family?

Rachel, you promised me forever.

Rachel, please don't leave me.

My car is not in a legal parking zone but all I have to think about that is fuck it. My wife has been shot and I don't need this on my mind.

The ICU lobby was full of frantic doctors, I had to pry one of them away so that I could talk to him.

"Rachel Hudson, she's my wife and was shot, where is she?!" I scream in his face.

"She is prepping for immediate surgery, you have to wait here until she is out."

I helplessly take seat in the waiting room. There has to be something else for me to do because I can't just sit and wait.

The I remember that I have a family and that they should be here.

I dial Santana's number and await for her to answer.

"Frankenteen, what's going-"

"Get the kids to the hospital right now!"

"Why, what happened?" Santana's voice is slurred and frantic.

"Rachel has been shot, please be quick!"

"Of course, I'll be there soon!"

She hangs up.

The next 20 minutes were hell.

"Finn!!!" It was Santana and Brittany along with my kids.

I stand up but don't move, how could I?

My lungs feel empty and my heart is withering away.

*********

A couple hours pass and everybody was here with their children. Sam, Mercedes, Kurt, Puck, Tina, Mike, Blaine, Artie, everybody.

Well everybody except Quinn, I haven't heard from her since the day she tricked Rachel into thinking she slept with me.

With everybody here, the situation feels more real than I would like.

Emma is on my lap with a tear stained face, I'm cradling her head in my chest, trying to do my best without sobbing.

My throat is as dry as a desert, I need water.

"Em, I hate to say this but I need you to get up." Shen nods and slowly crawls off of my body.

I manage to find a water fountain in a linking hallway to the waiting room.

The cool water running down my throat sends relief to my mind and body.

The sound of someone walking down the hallway fills the air. It was a doctor, the same doctor that I yelled at earlier.

"Mr. Hudson?" He asks carefully.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk?"

I nod my head, cautiously. We slowly walk down the long hallway.

"Your wife, Rachel, lost an extraordinary amount of blood and her vitals gave us doubts that she would make it."

I take in a deep breath.

"I would like you to know that she fought till the very end and she never even thought about giving up but alas, her injury got the best of her."

He pauses.

"I thought you should know that before surgery, her last words were: I love you, Finn."