Chapter 42

Rachel's POV

Finn and I have done nothing but wait by my phone for Brody's "challenge" all day.

It's around 12 and still nothing.

"What if he wants me to kill people, Finn? I can't do that and I never will." I say nervously.

"I don't think he'll make you do that, we just have to hope and pray we get all 3 of our kids back."

After about another hour, I got the text that i'd been dreading.

Hey Rach!

For your first challenge, at 4 pm you will go to Chance Bridge which isn't to far from you, I would know. You'll catch on for what you'll be doing, don't worry, one of your mutts will be there.

Bring the police or Finn with you and I slit the rest of your kids throats.

Love, Brody;)

His text disgusts me, he just threatened the life of my kids.
I show Finn the text and he nods slowly.
"We still have to tell the police." He announces.

I hesitantly agree and we start heading back to the police station.

After we showed them the text, a few officers got together to talk about what would be the best way for this situation to remain safe.
After a few minutes of consulting, they come to talk to us directly.

"We will be going, but not in plain sight. The area near Chance Bridge is quite hilly so we will be perched up but not visible."

"Okay" is all I can say.

"Mr. Hudson will not be able to come with, he must wait either here or at home." He adds.

Finn's whole entire body tightens up at what the officer just said.

"She is my wife and these are my kids, I have a right to be there."

"You could jeopardize her safety."

Before Finn responds, I put my hand on his chest so he knows that I agree with the officer. I think back to what Brody's text said, if Finn or The police come, he'll slit my kid's throats.

*********
I'm driving to Change Bridge with wires poking at me. They figured that if Brody threatens me, they'll hear it and know when to engage.

When I pull up to the bridge, I park my car and take in my surroundings.
The officer was right, this bridge was surrounded by hills and below it was the river.

A couple minutes pass by until I spot a black van drive onto the bridge from the other side.
I start walking towards it slowly when I see the door open. A small figure gets out but is forced.
Once I see the face, I immediately recognize that it's Ross.
His hands and feet are tied with rope so I start sprinting over to him but a man who isn't Brody throws him off the bridge.

"Your first challenge is to save your son's life." He says then returns to the van.

I rip off the wires hugging my body and without hesitation, I jump in after Ross into the freezing New York water.
The impact hits me like a thousand needles would.

I don't spot Ross right away under the water until I see little bubbles below me. He's sinking!

My body swims in the direction he's sinking which makes my ears ring and ache.
Ross is struggling to stay afloat, but the only direction he is going to is down.
I barley touch his hands, but I somehow grasp them. Trying to get a better grip on him, I pull his waist up to me and swim as fast as I can to the surface.

I thought I was home free but in reality, I was holding onto a 130 pound boy and gravity was no longer on my side.
Nobody is in my sights to help so I have to do this on my own.

"Ross, you have to help me and try to swim afloat!" I yell.

He barely nods.

We both painstakingly swim to the shore where police officers are now in the water trying to retrieve us.

When we hit the ground, I take in large breaths but find it hard for me to breathe.
I wobble around trying to get to my car where my inhaler is waiting for me.

"Do you need to go to the hospital?" Somebody asks me.

"Ye-sss" I blurt out with dark specs blocking my vision.

I feel hands pull me onto a stretcher but then I remember Ross.

"ROSS!!" I yell quite loudly.

"Your son is fine. He and your husband will meet us at the hospital." She calmly assures me.

I finally pass out without being worried.