37. PLANS

Jughead Jones

      "Can I get a coffee?" I ask Pop. He nods and JB orders a sprite.

       "What happened to you?" Pop asked Jellybean, motioning to her casted up foot.

       "I, Uh," she looks at me. "She broke her leg in a fight." I finish for her. She nods and we look at Pop. "Kids these days. They're terrible." He mutters while walking away.

       JB laughs which makes me laugh. "Veronica's here." She says, looking behind me.

       Veronica walked up to us. "Jughead. My dad wants to talk to you. Outside...privately." She said.

       "Uh, sure. Can you stay with JB?" I ask her, standing up. She nods and sits in my place as I walk outside.

       "What do you want?" I ask Hiram. He smiled an evil smile.

      "Your little sister, Forsythia—" I cut him off. "It's JB." He nods.

       "Well, she's gonna need to be sent back to the orphanage. Mayor McCoy said to me to tell you that we are sending her back in three days." He said and walked away.

       "What the actual hell?" I ask myself while walking inside Pops.

       "Thanks a lot." I say to Veronica, glaring at her as she walks out.

       "What happened?" Jellybean asked. "Nothing, don't worry." I say and sip my coffee.

      "I'm sorry, but I am sick of being left out of everything that's going on! I'm not a little kid, Jug. I don't need your protection. I deserve to know what's going on, especially if it's about me." I say.

       He looks surprised. "It was Hiram Lodge. He told me that the mayor is sending you back to the orphanage in three days. But we can fix this." I say.

"Uh-huh. How?" She asks rudely.

"Calm down. We're going to the mayor."

• • •

"What is it, Jughead?" Mayor McCoy asked me. "What can we do to not have JB sent to Ohio?" I ask her.

"We'll you're going to need a lawyer. And you're gonna need to go to court. We can set up an appointment." She explains, getting out a paper and pen.

"Anything." I say and sign the paper. "Be there Friday. Ten in the morning on the dot." She tells us.

"Thanks." I take the paper and me and JB walk out.

"Are you sure it'll work?" She asks. I nod. "I'm sure, JB. I'm sure."