2. DINER

When I woke up I panicked—where am I, again? The ceiling was pale, tinted with yellow spots. The walls were a faded blue and the mattress smelt like my brother. Oh. I was home.

I climb out of bed and look at the digital clock on Jughead's wardrobe. It read 10:37a.m. Maybe my dad was home?

I walk out of the room to find Jughead sitting at the table, typing on his laptop, drinking coffee. "Oh, Hey, Jellybean. Morning." He said. "Morning," I reply. "How'd you sleep?" He wondered. "Good," I say. "Where's Dad."

"Oh, he went to work at the diner. We can go there and get some breakfast." He explains. "Okay," I say.

I quickly brush my hair, borrowing Jughead's brush just this once, and I use mouthwash to clean my teeth. I splash my face with water to wake myself up more and then straighten out my clothes.

Once I was finished, I put on Jughead's oversized sweatshirt and we went in the car. I had to sit in the back because I still wasn't of age and height for the front seat. The bummed me a bit but I didn't let it ruin the nice family reunion I was having.

"What's a Chock Lit Shoppe?" I ask Jughead as I read the storefront. "You'll find out." He smiles and takes my small hand as we head inside.

"Jellybean?" Someone asked. I turn around and see my dad. Standing there. I run up to him and jump into his arms. "Dad! I missed you!" I say as he hugs me back. "I missed you too, JB. Where's your mom?" He asks me. "Um.." I trail off as my eyes begin to water. Jughead puts an arm around me comfortingly. "She..She died. From..drugs." I say, looking at my feet.
"Oh. Then who took care of you?" My dad asks.

• • •

We ordered breakfast and sat in a booth with my dad so I could explain the long story. He looked a little sad and a bit relieved that I was okay.

I was almost finished with my food when the bell of the diner rang.

"Betty." Jughead greeted a blonde haired girl. Her hair was in a ponytail and she had bluish-green eyes. She was carrying about four bags in her hands. "Hey, Juggie. Hi, sweetie. Are you Jellybean?" She asks me kindly. I nod. "Well, Jughead told me all about you, and I brought you some clothes and necessities." She explains.

"Thank you!" I say as she places the four bags down. "No problem. I'll see you around Jug. My mom doesn't know I left." She said to Jughead. They kissed quickly and she left.

     "Wanna go home and try them on?" My dad suggested. "Yeah." I said. I hugged him goodbye as me and Jughead got in the car.

     "Is she your girlfriend?" I ask. He smirks in the rear view mirror. "Maybe." He says. I giggled.

     Once we get home I try on the five different outfits, two pairs of shoes, hats, and socks. I also use the new tooth brush to clean my teeth. I felt better after that.

     I stayed in my old outfit and pull Jughead's sweatshirt back over me. "Can we watch a movie?" I ask him as I walk into the living room. "Sure. Which one?" Jughead asks. He scrolls through the ten different movies and I decide on "Coco".

     Halfway through the movie, Jughead's phone rang. He walked into the kitchen. "What is it?" He asked someone. "You're kidding. Do you know who it is?" He asks again.

     I dig my nails into my palms, wincing at the painful contact. "I'll be right there." Jughead said. I quickly unclenched my fists and looked down. There were bloody crescent moon shapes on my palms.

"JB, we have to go." Jughead said. "Where?" I wonder. He doesn't respond. He just takes my hand, leading me towards the door. Then he stops and looks at his hand. There were blood spots. Then he looked at my hand.

"Jellybean, did you do this?" He asks me. I nod slowly. "Why?" He questions. "I-I'm scared, Jug." I cry. "It's okay, JB. You're safe if you're with me." He says.