23. PARTY GUESTS

We enter the school. It was currently five minutes till third period. We made our way down the locker hall when we noticed these dolls on all the locker handles.

"What the hell." Archie says. I grab Betty's hand and take one off a lock. "It's from Gryphons and Gargoyles." I mutter while examining it. "What is it?" Betty asks worriedly.

"I think Jellybean would know." I say. I took Betty's hand and walked into the lounge to find Jellybean reading a Gryphons and Gargoyles quest manual.

     "Hey, JB," I swung the doll in her sight, holding the string. "Does this look familiar to you?" I look at her as she examines it. "Where'd you get that?" She goes to grab it. I yank it back and hop onto the couch.

     "Oh, it was on every single locker handle," I say. "Have anything to do with that?" I ask. She freezes in place and starts hyperventilating, eyes rolling to the back of her head. I stop her head from hitting the ground as she falls down. "Betty, she's having a seizure." I say.

     Betty runs to the phone as I try to calm Jellybean down. I look up to see a strange girl—probably one of those teens from that weird farm place. They transferred here—staring at Jellybean. She didn't do anything about it, so I ignore her and pick up Jellybean.

     I heard sirens and soon enough, the paramedics had her in the ambulance. I sat next to her, wishing that stupid G&G game never existed.

• • •

"Alright, you are free to go home. Have her take these two pills every night this week to stop the seizures." The doctor told me, handing me the prescription. "Thanks." I mumble. It was five thirty, and while I was at the hospital comforting Jellybean, Betty, Archie, and Veronica were setting up Jellybean's birthday surprise party.

"C'mon." I say, taking her hand and walking outside. "Jughead, what time was I born?" Jellybean asks as I drive home.

"Like, around three in the afternoon." I guessed. "So, I'm eleven?" She asks. "Yep. You're an elder now." I joke. She laughs and I smile.

Once we arrive at the trailer, I slowly start to open the door. Once we step inside, Archie, Betty, and Veronica yell, "Surprise!"

Jellybean first had no emotion visible on her face. Then she grinned.

"Happy birthday, Jellybean." Archie says. Jellybean smiles.

"Feliz cumpleaños, Jellybean." Veronica says. "Thanks." Jellybean says. Betty comes in with a cake in hand. There were eleven candles lit on it.

She started singing happy birthday, and Jellybean blew out the candles. She laughs after. "What?" I ask. "I didn't think you'd do this for me." She says.

"Why wouldn't I? You're the best eleven year old I've ever met." I say. She laughs.

After cake we opened the presents. Jellybean opened Betty's first.

Inside was a white Polaroid camera. "Thanks so much." JB said. "Of course." Betty said.

From Veronica, Jellybean got a pearl necklace and locket. From Archie she got a Pink Floyd poster; her favorite band.

"Here's mine." I hand her the rectangular box. She unwraps it and her jaw drops. I grin. "No way." She breathes. "I've always wanted this!" She Says and hugs me. I had gotten her a skateboard and helmet, both with neon green stripes.

"Can you teach me how to ride it?" She asks. "Hmm, maybe this weekend." I thought.

• • •

At night when JB was asleep, I grabbed my laptop and sat up in my bed, blanket pulled over my body. I started writing a new chapter for my book.

I got bored of that and typed down notes about what JB got earlier this morning.

About two hours later, around one in the morning, my door opened. "Jughead?" A tired voice asked in the dark.

"Yeah, JB. What's wrong?" I ask her, closing my laptop and placing it on the bedside table.

"I can't sleep." She told me. "Come sit." I pat the bed.

I wrapped the blanket on her. "Do you wanna talk about anything?" I asked. "Well, you know that girl Avía?" I ask him. He nods. "Um, she..she said that if I d-disrespect the gargoyle king again she'll kill me." Tears welled up in her eyes.

     I wrap my arm around her and pull her close. "You're not going to die. I promise you that. And no one will hurt you. But, you need to listen to me," I said. "You can not play Gryphons and Gargoyles again. Ever."

     "But I have to." She whispered. "Why?" I asked. "B-because then they'll sacrifice me." She whispered, again.

     "No one's gonna hurt you." I repeated. I rubbed her back as she drifted off to sleep. Soon, I did too.