22. SURPRISE?

Today was my little sister's birthday. Eleven years old—not so little, Not so innocent. But, still. I love her.

I climb out of bed and start to toast waffles when I hear Jellybean getting up. I could tell she was trying to hide a smile as she walked into my view.

"Happy birthday." I say, smiling at her. She smiled back. "I'm so old." She grumbles as she sits down at the small kitchen table. "No, you're not." I say. And she wasn't. Life was just beginning for me and it's, like, just starting for her.

"A teen in two years." She says. "Now, that's old." I say while placing waffles on both of our plates. I hand her her's. "Thanks." She smiles brightly. I remember before my mom 'kidnapped' JB and ran away, JB loved waffles. And hasn't had them since.

We gobbled down our breakfast quickly when the doorbell rang. I open the door to see no one there. Only a small box. Probably Betty.

"Hey, JB. You got a present." I say. I hand it to her before she goes into her room to get dressed.

While I was getting my Serpent jacket on, I heard a scream.

I bolt into Jellybean's room. "The hell?" I mumble. Laying in the unboxed box was a bloody pig's heart.

I grab JB. "Get your backpack." I tell her as I get mine. We hop in the car and speed to school.

-

We met the others in the lounge. "Anyone wanna explain this?" I ask. Veronica opened her mouth to speak, but stops herself. I raise an eyebrow at her. Archie worriedly looks at his girlfriend.

"Well, well, well, Veronica Lodge. Did Jellybean do something bad when you were watching her so you wanted revenge? By giving her a bloody pig's heart on her birthday?" I ask.

Kevin grins. "No drama, Kev. Mind your own business." I say to Kevin. He frowns and walks away.

"I didn't do that. I know who would do it, though." She said.

I sit across from Archie and Veronica, next to Betty. "Veronica, who?" Betty asks. Jellybean sits next to me. "I think it was Reggie. People have grudges. And Reggie has the biggest one against JB." She says. Jellybean stands up. "Um, I'm going to class." She says and runs off.

"Maybe she set you up?" Archie jokes. I roll my eyes. "We should tell Sheriff Keller." Betty suggests. "I agree." Archie says. "Me too." Veronica says. "Well, then. To the sheriff's station we go." I stand up.

"Wait, we're skipping school?" Betty asks, looking at me like I'm crazy.

     "Betty, we aren't skipping school. We are ditching. And then coming back." Veronica says. She looks at me. "Right." She asks. I sigh. "Fine."

     I take Betty's hand in mine and we all get in my car.

     I knocked on the Sheriff's office door. "Hey, kids. Shouldn't you all be in school?" Sheriff Keller asks us. "Sheriff Keller, we have a problem." I say.

     We let's us all sit down. "My sister received a bloody pig's heart wrapped in a gift box this morning on her birthday," I explain. His eyes widen a little. "And we have a suspect." He nods.

     "Who might that be?" He asks. "Reggie Mantle." I say.

     "Why do you think that, Jughead?" He asks me. I look at the other for half a second and then back at the Sheriff.

     "Reggie would start fights with Jellybean. He hated her. He'd kick her and it's horrible." Betty says. I put my arm around her comfortingly, and she sighs, calming down. I hold her hand. "So, you think that just because he had a grudge against your little sister he—" I cut him off. "Just please investigate him and the bulldogs." I tell him. "Not you." I whisper to Archie. Archie nods.

     "I'm afraid we're gonna need more evidence. We'll do the best we ca—" Veronica cut the Sheriff off. "Listen, Sheriff. Reggie tormented Jellybean and he could be doing it right now for all we know! He could be beating her up, he could be killi—" I cut her off. I didn't need to think about that. "That's enough, Veronica," I say loudly. She glared at me. "You better do your job." I snap at the Sheriff before we all walk out.

     "I think I know a way to find out how Reggie got the pig heart," Archie started. "Everyone in the football team has a private safe with a combination. But, Coach Clayton has a book of all our combinations. Maybe we can find it tomorrow night and figure it out." Archie suggests.

     "Maybe." I say.