8. NIGHTMARE

Once we got home, we dropped off our stuff and headed back into the car to go to Pop's.

When we sat in a booth, Jughead went straight to typing on his laptop.

"Are you still typing the same story?" I ask him. "Yep." He responds.

"Hey, where's Dad been?" I ask him. "Um.." he trails off and looks at the door behind me.

I hear a bell and I turn to see a red headed girl—who I think is named Cheryl—walk in with these other girls and guys.

Cheryl walks straight up to us. "Hello children of a criminal." Cheryl says. Criminal? I look at her confused.

She leans down to meet me eye to eye. "Oh. Your overprotective brother didn't tell you?" She asks in a baby voice. "Such a bad brother. Maybe he'll end up in jail just like your dad." She says. "Maybe you will too. You can all get your own private cell together. A nice family cell. And maybe it'll be a tradition. To get arrested." She continues. I ball my hand.

"Watch it, Cheryl." Jughead warned. He winked at me. I nod at him and punch Cheryl right in the face. She was so dramatic as she fell down and her friends caught her. One gave me the finger before dragging each other out.

I sighed in relief as the bell of the diner rang again and she left.

"I'm sorry." I say quietly to Jughead. "It's absolutely fine. I told you to punch her. But only this one time." He replies.

"I just get so angry when people are mean to me. I probably have anger issues." I mutter. Jughead put a hand on mine. "You don't," he assured me. "I promise. You are just trying to protect yourself."

"Do you ever do that...when you wanna protect yourself?" I ask. "No, but I think of doing it. But ignore it and you'll stop." He says. "Okay." I say.

After we finish eating or dinner, Jughead pays and we walks outside. I look to my right and was horrified. There were four teens beating up somebody on the floor with a bag and stick with thorns attached. I start to feel dizzy. "J-Juggie." I say to get his attention. He looks at me and I point to the people.

Before I knew it, Jughead yanked me off the ground and ran to his car. He set me in the backseat and I buckled up as he got in the driver's seat and sped off.

"Wh-who was that?" I ask while tears stream down my face. "They," Jughead said. "Were the Ghoulies."

"They..k-kill people?" I ask. "Yes, Jellybean," He says. "They do."

Once we got home I brushed my teeth and changed into PJ's. I went into the living room to say goodnight to Jughead.

"Jughead?" I ask. He looks up from typing. "Yeah?" He asks. "When will Dad be home?" I ask. "I..don't know."

*Dream* I was running away. I stop to catch my breath and turn around. "Jughead help!" I scream. The Ghoulies stalk towards me. The leader said, "no one can protect you now." He said.

Right as he was about to bash the stick in my head, I woke up, crying.

I crawled out of bed and into Jughead's room. I saw his peaceful sleeping figure and sighed. He probably doesn't have nightmares. I don't wanna wake him up.

The scared feeling in my body took over and I lightly tapped Jughead's arm. "J-Juggie." I whisper as more tears stream down my face. He opens his eyes slowly, and then they widen.

"Jellybean," He says and sits up. "What's wrong?" I sniff and wipe the tears from my face. "I h-had a n-n-nightmare." I whisper while crying. He pulled me into a hug. "It's just a nightmare, JB. What about?" He asks. "Uh.." should I tell him? "I-it was about th-the G-Ghoulies beat-beating u-up th-e p-person." I stutter.

"It's just a nightmare. And you are safe. Whenever you are with me. You are safe." Jughead assured me. I slowly drifted off to sleep again.