4. NEW TALENT

I woke up to the smell of bacon filling the air. I opened my eyes to be greeted by the coziness of my new room.

     I smile to myself before getting up and brushing my hair swiftly. I walked into the hallway to find my dad sitting on the couch, reading a newspaper, and Jughead flipping something in a pan in the kitchen.

      "Hey, Jellybean. How was your new bed?" My dad asked me. "It was great." I smile. He smiles, too. I walk into the kitchen to see what Jughead was doing. "What're you making?" I asked. "Eggs and bacon. For myself." He said, trying to hide a smile. "Hey," I say playfully. "No fair." "Of course they aren't for just me, they are for Dad, too." He jokes. I giggle.

     After breakfast I quickly showered and got dressed into an outfit:

     When I walked back into the living room, Jughead was putting on a Serpent jacket and a side backpack bag

     When I walked back into the living room, Jughead was putting on a Serpent jacket and a side backpack bag. "Where you going?" I ask him. "I have to go to this stupid thing called high school. They made me switch over to Southside high because they feel like I'm a bad influence." He says. "Oh." I say sadly.

     "But, hey," He says. I look back up. "I'll be back in a few hours. Maybe even less if I skip."

     "Okay. Don't die." I say. He laughs. "I won't." He says before heading out.

•     •     •

     About an hour after Jughead left I got tired of watching my dad attempt to do bills for the house, so I grabbed a few sheets of printer paper from the kitchen drawer and a pencil.

     I sat down at the small kitchen table and thought of things to draw. There was a pretty cherry blossom tree in view out the window. Maybe I could try and draw that.

     I stuck to that and start roughing in the branches and trunk. The leaves were a little complicated but I managed. Once I was done I had a... Great tree.

     "Dad," I say, running out of my seat and into the living room. My dad placed down his bottle of god-knows-what and looked at the picture I placed in front of him. "What do ya think?"

     He smiles. "It's great, JB. Maybe you can be the illustrator for Jug's book he's writing." Dad suggestions. "Maybe." I think.

•     •     •

     A few hours later after eating some cereal and watching TV, I decided to draw again. This time I would do an imaginary drawer. Maybe a mermaid?

      "What're you drawing?" The voice of my brother asked. I jumped and looked up to see Jughead hovering over me, setting his bag on the ground and sitting down. I slide over the two pictures I drew and wait for his response nervously.

     "You did this?" He asked. I gulp, remembering the time he asked that because of my bloody hands.

     I squeeze my hands. "Yeah." I breath nervously. "It's...amazing—where did you learn to draw like this?" He wonders.

      "Um.." I trail off. Will they get mad at me if I say? I don't think so. "I used to carve drawings into the walls during the night. No one ever knew it was me." I whisper.

     Jughead looked shocked. "A-are you mad?" I whisper again. "Mad?" He asks. "Of course not."

     I sigh in relief. "Good." I mutter. "So, you write for the newspaper?" I ask. "Yeah, with Betty." He says while biting an apple. "You mean your girlfriend." I joke. He blushes the tiniest bit while laughing a little.

     I watched Jughead as he typed a new chapter for the mystery book he was writing. He typed so quickly and didn't look at the keys and he didn't even mess up any words. No red lines at all.

     "I wish I could write like that." I say, mostly to myself. "You can," Jughead said. "It runs in the family, I think."

     "Why, did Dad write?" I ask. "No." He laughs. I laugh along too.