34. RUNAWAY

Jellybean Jones

I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept think over and over about that orphanage, and if I'd be sent back there.

Jughead wouldn't let me be sent away, would he?

Or he's just probably too caught up with his girlfriend to even have a single worry about me.

Maybe the reason he sent me here for the weekend was because he was either planning with the orphanage a way to get me back to Ohio, or he just didn't want to deal with me anymore and that's why he sent me here.

I opened up my palms, not realizing I was harming myself again.

I sighed, getting up slowly. I looked at the digital clock on the nightstand. It read, 12:31am. Perfect. They'd all be asleep by now, and the hotel room is dark and silent.

I quietly tiptoe to the door and slowly turn the handle. It didn't squeak as I swung the door open. 'Thank God.' I thought, carefully making my way into the living room.

I could hardly see anything as I got closer to the front door. I put my hand on the doorknob and was about to turn it went somebody grabbed me. I jumped as I was pulled away from the door.

"Where were you going, Jones?" Sweet Pea's voice asked. I looked up at his face since he was really tall. Well, to me he was.

     "I wasn't going anywhere." I lie. I hear more footsteps. "What's up?" Toni asks. I step away from Sweet Pea's hard grip on my arm.

     "She was trying to escape." Sweet Pea explained. "You make it sound like we kidnapped her." Toni said.

     They kept arguing and I tip toed to the door. Once they looked at me, I froze. ....

     Sweet Pea put a finger on a spot on my neck and pressed down. The world around me darkened as I blacked out.

• • •

When I woke up I heard people talking. I couldn't open my eyes yet, but I could hear.

"Why'd you do that, idiot?" I heard Fangs ask somebody. "She told me to!" Sweet Pea snapped at him. "Guys, shut up. She's waking up." Toni yelled.

I slowly forced open my eyelids to be greeted by two normal looking guys, and one worried looking girl.

"What happened?" I ask, trying to remember. I couldn't remember much from last night. It was all a blur of moments.

"Sweet Pea touched your pressure point which caused you to fall asleep." Toni said.

"Why the hell would you do that to me?" I yell. "She told me to." Sweet Pea says. I roll my eyes. "You all are horrible. Just leave me alone!" I yell.

Sweet Pea and Fangs left the room, but Toni stayed. "What do you want?" I asked without looking up at her.

"I want you to know that you are safe here. We won't let you get hurt." She said, and left.

• • •

It was nighttime again, and this time my escape plan would be more secret.

I walked across the room and slid open the window. We were on the second floor, so it's not a life or death jump situation.

      I put my legs out into the cool air, and climbed onto the window sill. I jump, succeeding in grabbing the fire-emergency ladder.

      I ran down that, and crossed the empty road. I ran into the woods, and didn't bother to look behind me and go back. This was my decision.

     All the worry has left my body and mind. I knew I did the right thing; my loved ones and friends are safe now. But, am I?