31. CHRISTMAS LOVE

Jellybean Jones

     While Jughead was getting dressed, the doorbell rang.

     I peaked out the window and saw a man with black sunglasses in a suit standing there, clipboard and iPad in hand.

     I opened the door. "What?" I ask.

     "Are you Forsythia Penelope Jones?" He asks without looking down at me. "No." I respond. He looks at me. "It's JB."

     "Where's your brother?" He come in and sits on the couch.

     "That's none of your business." I snap.

     I hear him scoff under his breath. "Where's your nice attitude that I expected?" He asks sternly. "You are not my dad." I say.

     "Where is your dad?" He asks. "He's dead," I say. "Are you going to ask where my fist is next? Because I can show you." I raise my fist right as Jughead comes out.

     "Cool it, JB." Jughead says.

     "I'm just protecting myself." I scoff.

     "Who the hell are you?" Jughead asks the man. "I'm a part of Riverdale's most finest Social Services company. And it appears that you are not a parental guard. So we are going to have to send this little girl back to Ohio State Orphanage." He says.

My mind goes blank and everything blurs. Everything spins and suddenly the man has three, evil looking heads. For a second, he turns into the Gargoyle King.

I fall to the floor and start hyperventilating. "JB!" A distant voice calls as I fall into a void full of darkness. And at the end of that pit, was death.

• • •

I slowly opened my eyes; and my head ached.

My vision was still a little blurry, but at least no one has three heads.

"JB," Jughead rushes towards me. I couldn't focus my vision on the other people.

"How do you feel?" "Bad." I mumble.

"Where is he?" I croak. "Where is who?" He asks worriedly. "The..the man." I whisper.

"I took care of him." I hear a familiar voice call. "Who's here?" I ask Jughead.

"Sweet Pea and Toni and...Cheryl." Jug says. "No!" I say as Cheryl makes her way towards me.

"I just wanted to apologize. That's all. Me and Toni will be on our way now." She takes Toni's hand. "Actually, mind if I stay here for a few more minutes?" Toni asks her. "Of course TT. I'll be waiting outside." Cheryl kisses her—which I hid under the blanket for—and leaves the house.

"Ew." I mumble. Jughead laughs and Toni rolls her eyes. "So, how do you feel?" Toni asks.

"Meh." I say.

Toni and Sweet Pea look at Jughead. "What?" He asks.

"Oh," Jughead looks down at me. "I forgot to tell you that I am Serpent King since..since Dad died." He says.

"That's a bad thing?" I ask him. "No. I thought you'd be mad." He says. I shake my head.

     "Are you and Betty back together?" I ask him. He nods.

     "Get some rest, JB." Jughead says. I nod as they all walk out. I shut my eyes and let sleepiness take over me.

Jughead Jones

After Sweet Pea and Toni left, I heard a knock on the door.

"Better not be Social Services again!" JB calls.

"I thought you were sleeping!" I yelled. "I was!" She yelled back.

I sighed and swung open the door.

There stood a beautiful sixteen year old. Betty Cooper. My girlfriend.

"Hey, Juggie," She said.

"Hey." I reply.

"Mind if I come in?"

I hold the door wider open and Betty walks inside, a big rectangular box in hands.

"Merry Christmas." I whisper, leaning down a little to kiss her. She kissed back before saying, "Merry Christmas."

She looked around the room. "Where's JB?" She asks, worriedly.

"Asleep. Or awake. She's laying down because she had a seizure this morning." I say while opening a bag of chips.

"Seizure?" She asks. I bite a chip. "Is that a bad thing?" I ask through a mouth full of food.

"Yes," She says. "Yes, that's a terrible thing. You know, I was so worked up when you broke up with me, my parents sent me to Sisters of Quiet Mercy—" I gasped. "I escaped the day later. But I had two seizures there, and—" I cut her off.

     "Betts, you should've called me!" I say, confused. "I'm sorry. I didn't need you to be in danger," she says. "And everyone there was obsessed with G&G! Even Ethel was there. We tied up the Sister and had all the kids leave." She breaths.

     "That's why you dressed up as a Gryphon Queen?" I ask. She nods and hugs me. I hug back.

     "I..uh, got you this." She hands me the box. I unravel the ribbon and take of the lid to reveal a black shirt with an 'S' on it. "Thanks, Betts. You're the best." I kiss her forehead.

     "No problem, Juggie." She says. "I got you something, too. Hold on." I tell her and run to my room.

     I open up one of my drawers and take out the box. Inside contained a ring. Not a wedding ring, not an engagement ring. Just an emerald ring.

     When she opens the box, her jaw drops. "It's amazing!" She said. I slid it on her finger and kissed her lips.

     "I love you." I tell her. "I love you, too." She says.