12. TRAGEDY

I didn't know how I was going to explain this to Jughead and my father—wherever he is.

     I could just go to Betty and ask for makeup. But, she'd ask why and rat me out to Jughead.

     Or I could just pretend I'm sick and stay in my room all day.

     The bruise on my left eye throbbed in pain. Jughead was outside fixing his motorcycle and I asked him if I could walk around the trailer park. He said yes, because we kind of knew everyone who lived there, so I went walking. But, I ran into Avía and Tylenol. Avía was saying some trash about my brother so I punched her a couple of times. Then she punched me in the eye. No one was there to break up the fight so I got a black eye.

     The front door burst open. "Explain everything." Jughead demanded, pointing to my eye. "How'd you find out?" I ask.

     "Sweet Pea saw you. Now tell me everything and why you started it." He said.

     I didn't like when Jughead was mad at me. So, I lied. "Avía started cursing at me and threatening me and then she hit me so I punched her and she punched me." I say quietly.

     "That's not what Sweet Pea said." Jughead said. "Well, guess what. You don't have a right to send spies around to watch what I do!" I yell and run outside.

     I kept running until my knees ached. Once I got to a jog, Jughead grabbed my shoulder and turned me around.

     "JB, I don't want you to get hurt! Y-you're my only family that's not dead or in jail. So please be careful." Jughead pleaded. Tears were piling up in his eyes as he pulled me into a hug.

     "Dad is in jail?" I ask. "Yes, he is. That's why my number one priority is to make sure you don't die or go to jail. I don't like having to follow you around. But I don't like how I don't know if you are safe or not." He admitted.

     "Then why do you send me to school when I'm not in any of your classes?" I ask.

     He ignored my question and grabbed my arm, leading me back to the trailer.

     "Go get ready for Pop's." He said as we entered the trailer.

     I fixed my hair and brushed my teeth. I can't believe how much Jughead cares for me. Most people would think he's some nerdy weirdo who keeps to himself but he's a loving, caring older brother to me. And I am a reckless, stupid, idiotic little sister he has to keep watch over and not have fun with friends.

•     •     •

     Once we walked in Pop's, there was no sign of anyone. I saw Archie, Pop, and a couple of others on the floor. What was going on?

      "No!" Jughead shouted. A bullet flew towards me and Jughead leaped in front.