30. PRESENTS

Jughead Jones

     The next morning I felt myself being shaken awake. "What?" I mumble.

     "Jug, it's Christmas! Wake up, wake up, wake up!" I heard Jellybean saying.

     I climbed out of bed, too tired to put my beanie on, and made my way to the living room.

     There were about twenty presents underneath the tree. Ten were blue and white, and the other ten were purple with white snowflakes.

     "Santa came! Oh my gosh there's so many!" She yelled. I laughed and grabbed my first present.

     Inside of it was a new laptop case.

     Other presents of mine consisted of a laptop charger, headset, notebooks, and other writing stuff.

     "What's that?" I ask as Jellybean lifted up a huge box.

     "I have no idea." She started unwrapping it. "It's an electric bike! It looks just like a motorcycle, but it's for tweens." She says.

"That's awesome. You can ride to school on it." I say. "Yeah!" She says happily.

"Wait here, I have to get your present." I say.

• • •

I grab the small rectangular box that continued an iPod. I used all my savings I got from working at the horrible Pop's job to buy this.

     I walk out, holding the box behind my back.

     "Close your eyes." I say. Jellybean squeezes her eyes shut and I place the box in her hands. When I tell her to open her eyes, her jaw drops.

     She yanks the lid off and holds up a golden colored iPod. "Wha...how did you..." She trails off, examining it.

     She pulls me into a hug. "I'm glad you like it." I say. She frowns. "I got you a present too..." she looks down.

     Tears build in her eyes but she blinks them back. "What's wrong?" I ask, hoping those tears are happy tears.

     "I was going to get you a present," she starts. A tear falls down her cheek and sadness takes over me. "But I didn't have enough money. I didn't want to steal it." She said.

      "Come here." I say. She slides over to me and i pull her into my arms.

     "The only gift from you that I need is your presence. You being here with me is the most wonderful gift I could ever ask for." I tell her, rubbing her back.

     After a moment of comfortable silence, my phone rang.

     "One sec." I told JB.

     She nodded, and I grabbed my phone and headed into my room.

     My heart dropped when I heard that voice.

     "Times up, kid. Hand the girl back over or we'll double her welcoming punishment." He growled.

     "Why the hell do you want her back! She's with me! Her older brother." I whisper-yell.

     "What about your mom?" He asks. "She passed." I respond quietly. "And your dad?" "Same."

     "One hour." The voice growled. The other line cut and I shut off my phone, sighing and walking out.

     "Who was that?" JB asks worriedly. "Nobody." I respond. She nods and starts unboxing the iPod charger and things.

     I helped her set up the iPod and download some apps.

    I added my contact to her phone, as well as any other emergency contacts like Sweet Pea, Fangs, or Toni, Betty or Archie.