21. PLANNING

"Sacrifice." Jellybean explained quietly.

     "Sweet Pea, Fangs. Let go." I say. "See you at the Wyrm." Fangs mutters. I nod at him before them and Toni go to their motorcycles. I grab Jellybean's arm and lead her to my car. "Get in the car." I say through gritted teeth. She climbs in the backseat and I get in the front.

"Where were you going?" I ask in a monotone voice. I jam the key into the ignition and drive to the trailer.

"I can't tell you." Jellybean says. "Why?" I wonder.

"He'll know." She says. Once we get inside the trailer, JB goes straight to her room. "Hey." I say before she could go.

"What?" She asks, annoyed. "Stay in my sight. I can't let you wander alone." I say.

"Jughead, you are so annoying! I'm eleven years old! Stop bossing me around!" She yells. "I'm older than y—wait. You are ten. Not eleven." I correct her.

"No, I'll be eleven. Tomorrow," She snaps. "And you don't care! I don't want a birthday party! No one cares about me so it shouldn't matter." She storms into her room.

I yank my phone out and dial Betty's number. "Hello?" She asks. "Hey, Betz. Um, can we meet at Pop's in thirty minutes?" I ask her. "Sure, Juggy. Love you." She says. "Love you more." I say, jokingly. "Not possible." She laughs and hangs up.

I sigh happily and text Archie. Do you have Veronica's number? I text.

His response comes quickly. You aren't hooking up with her right?!!!!!

No I need her to watch JB

OHHH ok.

I dial Veronica's number into my phone. After four and half rings she picks up, right before the voicemail. "Hello?" She asks.

"Hey, Veronica. Um, it's Jughead." I tell her. "Are you hooking up with me?" She asks angrily. "Hell no. Calm down, I need you to watch Jellybean for two hours if that's okay." I ask.

"Of course! Anything for my favorite ten year old!" She says. I roll my eyes. "Why are you asking me?" She wonders.

"Don't get used to it. I'll drop her off at six fifty." I say and hang up.

I could've asked Toni. But she's probably with Cheryl, her new girlfriend since they kissed yesterday.

I pull out my laptop and add another chapter to my book.

T W O H O U R S
L A T E R

"Jellybean, we have to go." I say, sliding on my Serpent jacket. "Where?" She asks. "I'm dropping you at Veronica's. I have to get some..stuff done." I say.

"Fine. She's better than you anyways." Jellybean snaps at me.

"Forsythia, don't talk like that to me." I tell her. "Forsythe, don't tell me what to do." She mimicked. I glare at her and she glared back before we walk outside.

     I knock twice on Veronica's apartment door. She opens it. "My parents are doing some illegal junk all night so they won't be back," she tells me. I nod. "Hey, JB. Um, come on in. See you soon, Jughead." She says. "Thanks." I mumble, before heading to Pop's to see Betty.

-

     "So, what's up?" She asks as I slide into the seat across from her. "Well, tomorrow is Jellybean's birthday. And, unlike me, she likes parties. But, today she said she didn't want a birthday party because no one cares about her." I say.

      "I'm so sorry, Jug. What can I do to help?" She asks. "Maybe we can plan a small party for her? Just the core four," I say. She laughs. "And cake and presents. I think that's all she'd want."

Betty placed a soft hand on mine. "You're so sweet, Juggie. Now, let's go shopping." She said. I smirk and we get up.