24. ANOTHER KILL

The next morning I quickly slid out of bed without waking Jellybean up.

I sat on the couch and started on a new chapter for my book.

That's when I got a phone call. "Hey, Betty," I say.

"Juggie, you have to come quick, Fred—Archie's Dad got shot in the stomach!" Betty yelled into the phone. "I'll be right there."

I run into Jellybean's room. "Jellybean, get dressed and ready as quick as you can." I say before brushing my hair and teeth. I quickly change and slide on my Serpent jacket as JB walks out. Once we gets hers on we run into the car. I jam my feet on the exhilarator and speed to the hospital.

     "What happened," Jellybean asked. "Is it Dad?"

     "Archie's dad was shot. We need...to meet them a-at the hospital." I bite my lip from crying. Fred Andrews was the nicest parent in Riverdale.

At least Jellybean didn't have a clue who Fred was or she'd be balling her eyes out.

I took her hand as we walked into the hospital. I saw Betty and ran up to her, kissing her. Jellybean hugged Betty as I hugged Archie. Then JB hugged Archie.

"How bad is it?" I asked Archie quietly. "He was shot in the chest at Pop's. The man..he-he was wearing a black hood..and the eyespots were, like, homemade. They were cut by him. And he had emerald green eyes. Everything just happened so quickly. Too quickly." Archie said, putting his face in his hands. I patted him on the back before Veronica put an arm around him.

"Don't worry, Archiekins. He'll be fine." She said.

I sat next to Betty and Jellybean. Veronica's mom, Betty's Mom, and Betty's Dad walked towards us.

"I'm so sorry, Archie." Hermione said. I rolled my eyes. It was probably all Hiram Lodge's doing about Fred getting shot.

Betty's mom was glaring at me. "What?" I asked, pissed. "Oh, nothing. I'm just thinking that maybe your father had someone do this." She said.

"Mom." Betty said, angrily. I put my arm around Betty.

"Well, at least you can't blame my dad. He's in jail." Jellybean snapped. I smirked.

Betty struggled a laugh as her mom scowled and backed away. Jellybean glared at me and crossed her arms.

     A nurse walked up to Archie. "You may visit him. He's still unconscious, but we saved him before he could slip into a coma." The nurse exclaimed. Archie got up, Veronica following behind him.

"Will he be okay?" Jellybean asked quietly. "I'm not sure, Jellybelly. But I hope so." I said, putting my arm around her.

• • •

"Wanna go to Pop's?" Betty asks me. "Not tonight, Betts. I'm so sorry—i really am. But, I don't think Veronica will be available to babysit for Jellybean." I say, kissing her afterwords.

"It's okay, Juggie." Betty said. "I love you, Betty. I really do." I said. "I love you too, Jug." She said. I leaned down and kissed her forehead. "See you tomorrow." I said. She waved as I walked into the waiting room and got JB.

"We have to go to school tomorrow." I tell JB as I drive towards the trailer. It was around nine-thirty at night.

"I know," she sighed. "But, do we have to?" I glance at her in the mirror and smirk. "Yes, JB. We do."

Once we get inside, I take off my Serpent jacket. "Go to bed, we need to be up early." I say, getting my laptop.

     "Night, Jug." She called as she headed into her room. "Night." I say back, and get back to writing my book.