28. PHONE CALL

Jughead Jones

"Will Jughead Jones please report to the main office." Principal Weatherby's voice spoke on the loud speaker.

I sigh. "What did you do now?" Fangs asked. I roll my eyes and make my way towards the office.

I saw Jellybean sitting in one of the chairs and Reggie with a black eyes and bloody nose sitting in another chair.

I felt a pang of fear as I walked inside. I didn't say anything as I sat down next to JB.

"So," The principal started. "Your sister has gotten into another fight with Reggie."

Nothing new. "Reggie. Please start." He said.

"Well, this little anger issues witch started punching me and insulting me and the Bulldogs." Reggie explained.

'That's such a lie' I thought to myself.

"And Forsythia—" Jellybean cut off the principal. "It's JB." She corrected.

"Well, What is your story?" He asks.

"I was walking down the hall when Reggie started saying bad things about my father's death and saying my brother would be next. He also pushed me twice." She explained.

"But, did you punch him?" He asks. Jellybean nods and Reggie smirks.

I ball my fist right before the principal speaks. "Well, then. Jellybean, you've earned yourself a week's worth of detention for fighting. And Reggie, you get four detentions. You are also suspended from the Bulldogs for 2 days." The principal declared.

"What?" Reggie asks. "Return to class." The principal said.

"Jughead, I'd like to speak with you." He calls before I left. I turn around. "I'm sorry for your father's death. And I know you need Jellybean to be safe. So she will only have one detention tonight." He said.

"Thanks." I mumble before heading to lunch.

• • •

I sat down at my usual table. But, Veronica was the only one there. "What's up, Park Avenue?" I ask as I sit down and bite into my apple.

"Nothing." She mumbles. "Where's Archie?" I ask, opening a bag of chips. "Um..he dumped me." She whispers.

What? "Why?" "Because he doesn't like the way my dad follows him around everywhere." She looks up at me with teary eyes.

"Well, Betty is mad at me. If that makes you feel any better." I say.

Right as I took a bite into my burger, Jellybean game and sat across from us. "Where is everyone?" She asks.

Right before me or Veronica could answer, Kevin and Cheryl ran up to us. "Guys, come quick!" Cheryl shouted.

"What?" I ask worriedly. "It's Betty's locker!" Kevin yelled.

I jumped up and ran after them, Veronica and JB following behind me.

I pushed through the crowd to find Betty staring at her locker. Written on it said 'GO TO HELL SERPENT ****'.

"Betty," I breath and grab her arms. "Get off of me Jug!" She struggles. "Betty, please—" "Jug, let go!" I managed to yank her away from the scene and into the Blue & Gold room.

After locking the door, I asked, "Betty, do you have any idea who did that?"

She shakes her head as tears fall down her cheeks. I run over and hug her. She hugs back.

• • •

That night, after I picked JB up from detention, I took out my laptop and started writing a new chapter.

"Could we go to Pop's?" Jellybean asks. I sigh and smile. "Sure."

Jellybean Jones

     After we got our milkshakes and ordered our meals, Jughead's phone rang.

"I'll be right back." He said and walked outside, leaving me confused.

I didn't think nothing of it when Avia walked up to me. "Well, well, well. Little Jonesy all alone." She cooed. Tylenol followed her and laughed.

"What?" I ask. "Well. We just want you to know that the next time you are alone, we will give you Reggie's revenge." Tylenol sneered. Avia and her laughed and then walked back to their booth.

I felt terribly scared as Jughead came back and sat across from me. "Do you feel okay?" He asks.

I nod and sip my milkshake.

Jughead Jones

The call. The ring of my phone. The scratchy, dark voice on the other end.

     The call was from Jellybean's former orphanage. They called and said that I had only three days until they'd call again and say I had to send Jellybean back because she has no parents anymore.

     I have no idea what I'm going to do—but I won't tell JB. Not around Christmastime. Not ever.

      I'm hoping if I ignore the call they won't do anything and forget.

      "Who was it?" Jellybean asked after a comfortable silence.

     I put on my best normal face. "Nobody."

     Once we finish eating and I pay the check, we get in the car. The time on the digital car clock read 9:42 when we pulled up at the trailer.

     I look over at Jellybean to see her sound asleep against the car window.

     I go to her side of the car and pick her up gently.

     I carried her to her room and tucked her in, kissing her forehead, and walking out.

     I pulled out my laptop and started a new chapter. That was when a text popped up on the screen. It was from Betty.

     'I'm sorry' it read. I type 'why'. She types back 'bc i hurt your feelings' 'we were both going through a rough time' i replied. 'I miss you' she types. 'I miss you too babe' I type back without hesitation.

     I was craving the feeling of Betty's lips on mine. I wanted to hold her and have a nice Christmas together.

     'I heard Cheryl and Toni are throwing a Xmas party tomorrow. since your dad...' she types. 'Please go' she said.

     I sigh. 'Ok. Love you' I type. 'Bring JB. Goodnight Juggie' she types.