82

"I know you didn't sleep last night"
Heather Flores

I didn't sleep at all last night. I was squished between Shawn and Luna, I tried everything I could think of. I held on to Luna, I faced Shawn and held him, I put my phone down and I even counted sheep but nothing worked.

So right now I was in the middle of getting ready for work and Shawn and Luna were still sleeping as it was a Saturday, Luna didn't have school and Shawn went to work later on.

I left the room going downstairs, my focus was on my ring. It was so pretty, that's all I could think about. I wasn't looking where I was going and I tripped over a tub of glitter making me fall on to the door. I wince holding my elbow then I see a very tired, shirtless Shawn stand in front of me.

"Where are you going?" He rasps lifting my body up. "Work" I reply walking to the kitchen.

I feel him take my arm and he spins me in to his chest holding me close. "There's no way I'm letting you go to work" he shakes his head.

"I know you didn't sleep last night" he sighs running a hand through my hair. "You're so sleep deprived you tripped over a pot of glitter" he chuckles sadly.

"I'm really fine Shawn" I tell him pecking his lips. "Then tell me why you can't sleep? What's keeping you up?" He pleads. I could tell in his eyes he was truly worried for me.

"I just can't sleep, it's completely normal sometimes" I assure him. "But why do you cry and kick in your sleep?" He asks.

"I- i..." I knew the answer to this one, it was because every time I closed my eyes I had that dream.

"Babe please tell me, I don't like seeing you in pain" he whispers pressing his forehead against mine. "I'm fine" I nod moving away from him I look down at my watch. "I have to go now" I tell him.

"I know you're not fine Heather, please just don't go today. Just stay with me and Luna, we won't have to do anything today" he pulls me back by my arm. "I'd love that, I really would but I have to go to work" I smile sadly.

"Okay well I'll see you when you're back" he nods. I nod back then he kisses my nose. "I love you" he kisses me again. "I love you" I kiss his cheek then leave.
-
"Heather we have a boy coming in from a skateboard injury, he scraped all his skin and broke his arm but he's had a history with it" a nurse tells me.

"Do an x-ray, then compare them to previous ones which should be in his file" I tell her and she walks off.

"Doctor Flores, we're loosing our patient but there's only 13 percent chances he survives. Do we tell the family to say goodbye?" Linda asks.

"You always tell the family, they need to know. And yes when chances are that low, goodbyes are good" I nod walking to my office.

"Heather!" I get shouted. I turn around seeing Andrew walking over to me. "Hey what's up?" I ask.

"I wanted to say congrats on your engagement" he pulls me into a hug. "Oh thanks" I smile looking down at my finger. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to wear jewellery so I had my ring in my drawer.

"And erm I have a question" he says. "Fire away" I nod.

"Patient in a coma, low chance he'll come out. His wife is pregnant and they already have one child. Is there anything specific we can do?"  He asks.

My mind freezes and I think back to my dream. That's what happened to me.

"Heather?" Andrew asks but I keep staring forward. "Oh fuck" Andrew catches me when I fall. "No come on Heather" he lifts my body and I feel my eyes fluttering.

"Come on tell me... tell me about Luna" he says trying to keep me awake.

"She's... amazing" I whisper. My eyes were closing and I felt my body getting lighter.

"Heather keep them open, come on" he puts me down then squeezes my hand. I hear other people walking in and I'm getting hooked up to the machines.

"Come on now, stay with me" he puts his hands at the sides of my face and my eyes get droopy. I go to say something but my eyes shut.