27

"He has a daughter"
Shawn Mendes

"Heather" I whisper in her ear, I stood behind her, both her hands behind her back holding on to my right hand. "She's coming I can hear the footsteps" she tells me.

"Who is it?" I ask but before she can ask the door opens. A woman, around fifty stands there.

"Oh my baby" she pulls Heather making her let go off my hand as she embraces the woman in her arms. "I missed you Heather, you're always so busy" she says. "I missed you too" Heather breathes out.

Heather pulls back from the hug. "Who's this?" She asks. "This is Shawn and Shawn this is my Aunt Kenna" i put my hand forward shaking her hand.

"Come in" She opens the door letting us in. I follow Heather to the living room and we sit in the brown leather sofa. Aunt Kenna quickly returns holding a tray, a pot of tea and three cups.

"Is he your boyfriend?" She asks Heather. Heather nods smiling then looks at me, I send her a warm smile then take her hand putting it on my lap. "Erm Shawn, she's my dads sister"

I nod not knowing what to say. "Shawn, you must be pretty special, the last time Heather brought someone here I turned him away just like the others and she didn't bring someone here for a while, she must trust you"

I realise that this is how I'm going to be 'accepted', how I'll know I'm good enough for Heather. This woman is important to her, so my impression matters.

"Well I hope she does trust me" I chuckle nervously. "What do you do Shawn?" She asks me. Heather pours us some tea in and looks at me handing me a cup. I thank her then look over at Kenna.

"I own a business, in the music industry" I tell her. "Oh wow, are you a singer yourself?"

"Yeah I had a career"

"Heather have you heard him sing yet?" She turns to Heather. "Erm no, not in person" Heather says sipping her tea.
-
We go on talking for about an hour straight, Kenna tells me about Heather as a child, even then she was a busy girl, taking in responsibility's that she shouldn't have had.

"Shawn, I have to tell you that I have no children of my own and therefore I treat Heather like mine, I know my brother isn't the nurturing kind and after her mother passing I looked out for her. Can you promise me she won't be hurt?" Kenna says. I look toward Heather seeing her looking down at her hands.

"I promise, Heather has become very important to me" I say looking at Heather, she looks up looking relieved. My phone suddenly begins ringing loudly making Heather jump.

I look down seeing it's my mum. "You can take it" Heather tells me. "Heather, help me in the kitchen love".

The two leave the room so I can answer the phone. I quickly tell my mum what's going on and she understands then tell me about Luna, she's feeling a little better which puts me at ease. I end the call getting up to the kitchen.

God I'm going to feel so guilty for this but I hear my name and stop to listen.

"Heather what are you not telling me? I practically raised you, I see the look on your face, it's the same look you had when I caught you taking that cupcake" Kenna laughs.

I hear Heather sigh. "He has a daughter"

Oh of course it was that, I thought she loved Luna but maybe I was wrong.

"She's not mine but she's the most amazing little girl ever" I could practically hear her smile as she talked.

"Heather, I hope you know the responsibility this puts on you" Kenna says. "This might never even be talked about between you and Shawn but if you become serious and long term, you not only let Shawn in to your life but also that little girl, she'll become your responsibility too" Kenna says in a sincere voice.

"Like a mother?" Heather asks. "I don't know really but yes in a way a mother"

"And that's a lot of responsibility" Heather breathes out.

Oh god I would never put that much responsibility on her ever if she didn't want it. I feel bad now, I dragged her in to my life, well not just mine but Luna's too, what if she didn't want that? What if she didn't want to be this mother figure for Luna?

I walk in to the kitchen and both of them stay quiet. I wrap my arms around Heather and kiss her cheek as Kenna turns away.

"Thank you Aunt Kenna, we're going to go now it's getting late" Heather says leaving my grip to hug her. We bid our goodbyes and walk to her car. "Do you want me to drive hun?" I hold her hand pulling her towards me.

"Yeah please" she leans up kissing my lips once then she gets in the car, avoiding eye contact with me which hurt.