Chapter 29

Noah

Such a little minx, thinking that she could escape me that easily. If I were a normal man I might think she's gone forever but I have eyes and ears all over the city. I knew that she would be heading to a ferry port and I had my men patrolling them all over the country, then I called up my cousins and had them watch the ports on the mainland.

She was not getting away from me.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I picked it up.

"We have her." One of my men said down the phone, thank fuck for that.

"Are you on your way back to the compound?" I asked running my hand along the carved oak of my chair.

"Yes. She's been knocked out with chloroform and we should be back in ten minutes."

I smiled. "I'll be ready to receive her in the atrium."

I hung up, the tension in my shoulders all but disappearing. I stood and made my way slowly towards the atrium not before stopping to pour myself a small glass of scotch.

Three men soon arrived, one with Rose in his arms and the others holding AK-47's. I quickly moved to take Rose from him and started to move her up to the bedroom. I set her down carefully on the bed. I took note of every scratch and scrape that marred her beautiful skin.

Then as I walked around to my side of the bed, closing the curtains as I went, then I spotted her feet. They were bleeding, covered in muck and grime. I didn't want to risk waking her but I also didn't want her to contract some form of sepsis from this. I wandered into the ensuite and grabbed the first aid kit, and then returned to her. I placed it on the bed next to her and opened it.

I took a couple of antibacterial wipes and got as much of the dirt as I could off of her feet before drying them with some tissue. She must have been in so much pain, I thought sorrowfully as I removed a countless amount of splinters from her feet. From the looks of it, she'd climbed a tree to hide from me. She must really hate me.

Once that was done, I applied an antibacterial ointment to the skin and then wrapped them in a thin bandage.

As I was putting away the first aid kit I heard a buzzing noise come from the desk drawer, knowing it wasn't my phone which was in my pocket I was curious.

I opened up the drawer to find the 'broken' phone, Rose's mother's contact flashed up on the screen.

"Hello." I answered.

"Noah." Rose's mother said, sounding surprised. "Where's Rose? She said that she wanted to have a chat with me tonight."

I glanced over at her, my gaze softening slightly, she looked so small wrapped up in the blankets, her head resting on the pillow as her fists curled around the warm duvet.

"She fell asleep. We were having dinner with my parents and she had one too many glasses of wine and crashed as soon as we came home."

Her mother laughed slightly over the phone and then replied in a light and breezy tone, "Okay, well if you could tell her I called that would be great and just let her know that I love and miss her."

My heart felt heavy, she was the one who had to make the sacrifices here and that hurt. I'd never gone more than two months without seeing my mother and Rose could potentially go even longer. All because of a deal.

As much as I hated the deal, I really wanted to think that if we were normal people who met in a normal way, like in a coffee shop, then we would both have a mutual interest in one another and slowly build a relationship. But we were thrown in the deep end.