Chapter 23

Fleurie

17/12/2032

"Rose honey, time to get up." I called, and Rose stirred slightly before sitting up. Today was a big day. Daniel was coming to visit. Daniel came to visit every Christmas with his husband and their adopted daughter. Ariadne would even visit sometimes but that was far more rare. She wasn't coming this year, but she came the year before last so it hadn't been that long for her.

We were meeting him at the airport, after his long flight from sunny Los Angeles where he now owned and operated a chain of salons with his husband. He'd come a long way in eleven years and I could not be prouder of him.

"Mom, can I not just wait for uncle Danny here?" She asked, wiping the sleep from her eyes before smoothing down her hair.

"No, you need to go with your father to the airport. I've got to take Ollie to his baseball practice and then I've got to nip into the office for a quick meeting."

I say quick meeting, it was four hours long. I'd tried so hard to keep today clear but it was an emergency. One of our deals went through at the last minute and we had to work out why.

"You're always working mom.Can you not have one day off?"

I sighed, stepping closer to her and pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head.

"I'll try, baby. I really will try but unfortunately today I really have to go into the office." I smiled at her, and bruised down a strand of her hair that was being a bit unruly. "Now, you have to get changed and meet your father in the living room. I love you and I'll see you later okay."

She nodded and I hugged her, "I love you too mom. See you later."

Before exiting the room, I opened her curtains and pulled the blinds closed. I smiled over at her and then made my way towards mine and Alex's bedroom.

Alex was adjusting his tie, a smile on his lips as he spotted me entering the room. He turned from the mirror and whistled at me.

"You look absolutely stunning ma reine." I smiled, glancing at the crimson button up and black knee length pencil skirt I had on. I had yet to button up all of the buttons on my blouse, leaving my collarbone and the crease of my breasts exposed.

"After all these years, you still find a way to make me blush." I told him before I pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

I ran my hands through his hair, pulling him close to me as I kissed him again.

"So, I'm guessing-" He interjected, "-by all the kisses that I'm getting that you couldn't get out of work."

I shook my head and pressed another kiss to his lips.

"The deal fell through. I have to work out why. It's only four hours. I'll be back to have a late lunch. You also wouldn't mind picking Ollie up from baseball practise?"

Alex nodded, "Who would have thought running a mafia was less demanding than being a CEO?"

I glared at him playfully.

"Rose already asked if I could take a couple days off. I will soon. I promise. I'll book them in after my meeting, okay."

Alex smiled at me. "You better or you best believe I'll book them for you."

"I love you Al."

Alex pressed a soft kiss to my temple, "I love you too now go."

I turned, only to turn back and press my lips to Alex's one final time. "I promise." I said softly, "To make up for this."