Chapter 26

Rose

"Rose, this is Noah." Dad said softly. "You will marry him the day after your eighteenth birthday."

I looked at the man, entirely numb. He was sitting on an emerald green armchair, a lazy grin on his lips. He was conventionally attractive, sun kissed skin, pine coloured eyes and sandy blonde hair that brushed his high cheekbones.

"Say what now?" I responded, utterly breathless and speechless.

"You." The man, Noah said, "Are going to marry me, the day after your eighteenth birthday."

I felt incredibly faint, I-no. My brain was short circuiting. I hadn't even finished school yet. I couldn't get married to a man that I didn't know. I couldn't get married at all. What the hell was going on?

"Rosie." Dad whispered. I went to stand, I needed fresh air, I needed to get away from everyone.

As I took my first step, the world fell out of focus and could feel myself hit the marble floor. Typical, I thought to myself as the pain radiated through my skull and neck.

👑★👑

I woke up on the sofa, Dad was by my side and Noah was standing over the other side of the sofa. They were arguing,

"I didn't know he was one of yours. He wasn't wrongly killed. He tried to sexually assault my daughter." Dad spoke,

Noah scoffed, "Too bad, you made your bed and now you must lie in it."

Dad sighed, it sounded like he was crying, "Just leave Rose out of it, I'll give you anything. When I made the contract originally I did it so I could get her back. So I could see her and my wife again, not so that she could be taken away from me."

"Not my problem." Noah replied cruelly, his Italian accent coming out more prominently. "She will come with me to Sicily tonight."

I opened my eyes, "What!" I yelled, Dad looked relieved to see that I was awake but upset. I was right, he had been crying.

"Rosie." Dad said, "Princess. How much of that did you hear?"

I swallowed dryly, "Enough. I am not moving to Sicily. I have a life here. I'm not going to lie and say I have friends but I'm not leaving."

"Please." Dad begged, "At least give her until her mother wakes. Until we know that she is well."

Noah sighed, "Why do the Americans always have to be so complicated? Okay, you can have until she wakes up. So you can say goodbye but until then, I will remain here."

I sat up, wrapping the blanket that someone had wrapped around me and then asked,

"Why is this happening?"

Noah scoffed, his emerald eyes gleaming, "Well Rose, your father made a deal with my parents. They called off the hit on you and your mother on the basis of a mutual truce. Your father broke that, or more like your mother did when she killed Reid Ossani. So, I've come to collect my bride." He smiled a pearly white smile at me, that reminded me of the shark from Sharktale.

"Daddy, how could you?" I asked and dad shook his head before burying his face in his hands.

"I had to do it at the time, otherwise you and your mother might be dead now. I needed you both to be safe and this was the only way that I could guarantee it." He lifted his head from his hands, "I'm so sorry baby."

His eyes met my own and I could see the sincerity behind his statement.

I swiped at a tear that ran down my face and sighed. "I have no choice do I?"