Phone calls

please do read the authors note at the end.

It was still dark when the landline of the well maintained house of Siddharth Singhaniya rang. None of them wanted to get up. The weather was cold in Australia and as lazy Siddharth was he really wanted to be cuddled up in his bed with his wife in his Arms.

But when the phone rang for the third time and he felt his wife almost waking up due to the sound he decided to answer it.

With groggy mind and eyes he answered the phone and was shocked to hear from his sister. He didn't mind the time now that he knew it was her, Rather worry gathered his body as he tried to understand the much disturbed and stammering sister of his.

"Akshi I am sure it's really something important or else you wouldn't call me this late. What is it?' he asked.

The time had now changed from what it was back in their childhood. As much as he hated it, it was his wife now to whom his sister was much close to. But he knew somewhere he had an upper hand and preference in Akshi's life than Sonika. Though call him a selfish and self centered man, but Akshi was his baby sister first, than Sonika's sister in law.

"Bhai, if ... if back then you wouldn't have taken that step what would have happened? Do you think you would have been able to live?" Akshi asked. Siddharth had expected this question from her.

The moment he came to know that his sister was demanded to be sent back to India, he had expected to hear these questions. His family seemed nice, but they were nice in their own twisted way.

"I could have, just the way Kartik is leaving and you are. Akshi I told you back than as well, I was not strong enough to stay without Sonika. It would have been my death."

"And what about her?... Did you ever asked her if she wanted to do those things that you had planned for her?" the slight temper in Akshi's voice didn't go unnoticed by Siddharth. He looked at his wife who was sitting right beside him and had asked him to keep the phone on speaker when he informed her it was Akshi.

She listened to the question and held his hand said,

"I was angry, very much, it was him who was taking decision for the two of us... but you know what he said... he asked me if I had someone much better in my mind for him. He asked if I was strong enough to let him go, because he was sure, if your family at least agreed now, they won't later on." Sonika quickly erased the tears that had filled up in her eyes and rested her head on Siddharth's shoulder and continued,

"Akshi when in a relationship someone decides for you, it isn't necessary that it has to be perfect for you, it can be the best thing, but at that time you need to understand him, know if the decision was beneficial for you, if yes... then just ask yourself that was it that bad that he loved you so much to not even think of himself or herself and be there for you."

She smiled at the silence that she received and continued,

"Sacrifices are good Akshi, but you need to know till what extent and if the other person really knows you well he would understand your pain and would reach out to you even before you would know about it."

When the two still didn't heard anything from her, Siddharth smiled and said,

"Right now just try to understand Abhi, you two were very young at that age, but if you ask me as a guy who loves his girl, he did the thing which even I had failed to do."

"Siddharth-" , Sonika tried to warn him and stop him but he just kissed her forehead and said,

"Akshi back in college, Sonika wanted to continue with modeling, but I didn't like it all. Not because she would be posing out for different people out there, but I had my selfish needs, I couldn't let her go away from me, I was afraid I couldn't function without her, but Akshi though Abhi was in the same situation, he decided you to have better future to make your mistakes and standup for yourself, he made sure that at the end of the day when you would look at the things that you wanted to do, you wouldn't feel bad of yourself, and feel as if tied up, regret for ever loving him... though Sonika never regretted being with me, but I know she still whishes that I would have let her accept that consignment. "