Chapter 66

Chapter Music: "The Emerald Realm" by Brandon Fiechter

The deities were not wrong. The relationship between the two demons was a curious one.

I still remember Astaroth treating Orias coldly, in the beginning.

For how long had he worked as a professor in the Archangel Academy? For how long had he avoided that 'dear friend' of his? Astaroth was hiding from his dark nature and, apparently, everyone that had to do with it. He maintained close relations with the angels and refused to rule a race that had always remained loyal to him.

Had his rage betrayed him before? Had he ended up in a stalemate?

Yet after what happened between Orias and me, the demon King suddenly changed his mind. The old friends had reached a consensus and were now working together as though they'd never been apart.

I even sensed a spark of passion between them.

Could two months in Prison distort Astaroth's mentality completely? Or was he trying to tolerate Orias and his beliefs because he knew I now loved him too? Could his true motives be purer than I wanted them to be?

No. I hadn't fallen in love with a wizard who worked for the Government's Academy. It was the demon hiding inside him that bewitched me. Astaroth wasn't only supposed to be cruel. I knew that was who he needed to be.

"You appear as if you want to say something," Inna said calmly, pulling me out from my musings.

My answer was supposed to be simple. It always had been.

...But things didn't turn out the way I planned.

"I need some time alone," my mouth spoke on its own. "I need to sort things out."

"What did you just say?" Infervana was clearly in disbelief.

"You're giving us a chance?" Inna sounded like she couldn't contain her joy.

"Please," I mumbled, feeling strangely distressed. "I-I don't know what to think anymore."

A short silence followed, upsetting me more and more by the moment.

What the hell was I saying just now? Have I lost my mind?

Finally, one of the deities decided to speak:

"Are you messing with us?" Infervana's tone was slow and threatening. "Do you understand who we are?" She paused, letting her words hang in the air for a moment. "We're the Grand Priestesses who gave life to everything you've known. If we find out that you've been trying to trick us, you won't like what comes next."

My expression changed into an almost offended frown and my eyes started watering.

"What can I possibly do to you?" I exclaimed. "...I feel so alone."

I felt defeated and I was sure it showed. But my subconscious wouldn't believe this charade for a second.

"Sophia," I heard Inna's gentle voice. "Let me show you your future with them. I can understand why you'd feel lost right now, but you have to trust us. The life we're about to show you will erase any doubts in your mind."

"...Will you really show me the truth?"

"Take a moment and think," the other female voice advised. "Do you really feel safe with those two? Have you ever fully trusted them? You already know how greedy they are. You've seen how much they've enjoyed bringing their macabre desires into reality. One day they'll turn against you too."