Chapter 44

Chapter Music: "Apothecary" by Derek Fiechter

"Here." He held up the curious object, eyeing me inquisitively.

That was indeed a ring just like the one he'd given me not long ago. An identical-looking Lucite ring, devoid of any color.

"Will I take another test with a new ring?"

Astaroth simply shook his head, as though he had anticipated this question.

"Soul drainers are especially rare," he said, probably expecting me to read between the lines. "It's the same ring."

"Then what happened to all those col–"

Before I even finished my sentence, he showed me the other item he was holding: a tiny vial, filled with a colorful substance. The content didn't look like liquid nor like gas; but rather something in between. It was literally flowing randomly from one edge to the other as if it yearned for freedom. That was the first time I was witnessing such a strange sight. If the ring I had worn to read the book was now transparent, did that mean that its colors had somehow been channeled into that vial?

Astaroth was patiently waiting for me to take in the new piece of information before he began talking.

"This is valuable." He shifted his gaze to the vial and then back to me. "The volume of dark energy in here is especially high."

"Is this because I have a dark soul?" At least, that was the only conclusion I could reach by observing my past emotions inside the tiny bottle.

"A very dark one, indeed." His fiery stare made me wonder if he already knew everything about me.

All of a sudden, I felt overly self-conscious. But before I somehow expressed my anxiety, Astaroth's chuckle removed every thought from my mind.

"I expected no less from my favorite student," he grinned knowingly, as though he had sensed my discomfort.

His amazing perception was yet another proof of how well he knew me. I tried my best to contain my joy and focused my attention on the matter at hand.

"Unfortunately, you can't use this to restore your own energy," he continued, taking out of his pocket another vial –its contents pitch black, this time. "The good news is that I've just distilled some of my own."

"How come this isn't in the least colorful?"

"It's a lot more condensed. And, of course, my soul is darker than yours."

I guess this makes sense. Ah... This means more pain for him, right?

I furrowed my brows but decided to ask something else instead: "So I can consume someone else's energy but not my own? Does the same thing apply to everyone?"

"So it seems." He smirked deviously. "Try mine."

That took me aback. "You mean like, drink from this vial?"

"No, not drink. Immediately after removing the lid, place the spout between your lips and inhale. It'll be slightly more intense than breathing in."

"I... see." I hesitated once I took the tiny bottle in my hand. "Are you sure though? Wasn't it difficult to create? I'm not sure I'm okay with consuming energy when I'm fine."

He grinned mischievously. "It is true that I wouldn't give out my own energy easily like this."

My eyes widened.

"But I want to see how well it works with you," he added before I opened my mouth.

"Are you sure?" I insisted.