Chapter 51

Chapter Music: "Lair of the Forgotten" by Derek Fiechter

After a fiery exchange of whispers between Orias and another intimidating couple of demon guards, we were allowed to enter.

"I underestimated their suspicion," Orias muttered to himself, leading our way through the darkness. "Why would I betray my friend after a thousand years' worth of tests?"

"Did they accuse you of... something?" I asked, curious.

"It wasn't only me they accused," he explained sharply. "Merihem and you are the prime suspects for those who are unaware of the details."

'And what kind of details are you referring to?' I meant to ask before my nostrils were violated by the most horrid of smells.

"Here," Orias gave me a vial filled with an olive green liquid. "It will reduce your sense of smell by half. I imagine you want to have some idea about what's going on here."

I thanked him and reluctantly gulped down the potion. He seemed to know awfully much about me. Either he was abnormally perceptive or Astaroth had indeed shared a lot with him.

"Merihem, you've never been here before, right?" I asked my awfully silent friend.

He shook his head. "I've heard a lot though." Whatever that was, it seemed to be frightening him.

As for me, I didn't need to witness anything with my eyes to know what kind of place I had entered. Astaroth's twisted nature was hardly new anymore. Besides, it wasn't the first time I was experiencing cruelty. Neither the faint screams nor the unbearable stench had really taken me aback.

"So how is this his?" I asked Orias.

"Although he was the founder of this marvel, he assigned its administration to a few trusted friends during his absence. His Majesty would only visit from time to time to play with his new... exhibits and check with the old ones."

My mind automatically conjured up the image of an ecstatic Astaroth taking his time with his corpses and my heart clenched in sorrow.

"You keep calling him 'His Majesty'. He's not a King anymore, is he?"

"I... this is for another time," he replied, furrowing his brow. "Let's move on."

I wonder if I should look more into it.

"I think this is as far as I'll go," Merihem stated with resolve suddenly.

"Why?" It would be a pity not to experience at least a part of such a gruesome place.

"Sophia, how can you be so calm? It's living people we're talking about!"

"Do you think you're staying pure just by closing your eyes?" Orias raised his voice, somewhat disturbed. "There's knowledge waiting even in the darkest corners!"

"I'm already aware of all that! Astaroth always asserted the same principles. But what I need isn't wisdom but some peace of mind! You can't imagine how–"

"You fool! How can you reject wisdom when it's offered to you?"

Okay, this is getting out of hand. I'd love to watch but there are more pressing matters to be dealt with. Needless to say, though, Orias's outburst had slightly shocked me. Apparently, there was a lot more to his relaxed persona than I'd suspected.

"That's okay, Merihem," I said, interrupting their quarrel. "We'll meet you later?"

My friend breathed out, a hint of gratitude on his face. "Yeah, reach my consciousness when you return to your room."