Chapter 15

Image: Laito Sakamaki from the anime "‎Diabolik Lovers". Someone we haven't met yet is inspired by this guy... :)

"Can I?" I spoke as a kid who had been given a new toy. Once again, his suggestion took me aback. It was hard to believe that he was now suggesting I joined his more advanced classes.

"Why do you think I'm asking you, doofus?" his annoyed glare was nothing like I was used to. I could clearly notice a hint of friendliness in his smart voice.

"Thank you!" I grinned. "I'll arrange it then."

"No need. I'll let the administration know because I don't think you could ask for something like that so late."

"Oh, okay. Thank you!"

This time the reason he was going out of his way was to make sure I attended his classes. I could hardly calm myself down.

"Stop thanking me." Even his threatening look wasn't so terrifying now.

"Sorry."

He exhaled in exasperation, "You're too polite."

"Is this a bad thing?"

He turned to look at me, bewildered, "I don't deserve it."

I was being so polite because I was sure he deserved it. He was a good man; in my own twisted logic, of course. Besides, why be rude to someone without good reason?

"Do you also feel things according to your own idea of justice?" I inquired, remembering that he had asked me the same thing on the day he had saved me from Luna's spell.

He stood expressionless for a while just looking at me with his mysterious eyes.

"I don't know," he said finally.

"You don't know?" the wise Mr. Astar? I grinned, having found a weakness in the man next to me.

He snickered and approached me menacingly. His face was too close and he was grinning deviously: "Do you think you've got me?" Luna was right. He did smell wonderful.

I just lowered my head in embarrassment, afraid that the excitement he was causing me would give me away. That was his strategy instead of answering my question? Hinting to my own feelings? How much I hoped he hadn't figured me out! He could believe anything he wanted: fear, modesty, even foolishness. Anything except for that. Because if he didn't feel the same way... No. I don't want to think about it.

Probably having seen what he wanted, he pulled away and stood up.

When I turned to look at him again, he had extended me his hand.

"I'll escort you to your room," he offered. "You shouldn't be seen leaving mine."

I shot him an inquisitive look but decided not to press the issue any further. After all, being seen leaving a professor's apartment so late in the evening wouldn't be exactly seen as normal. And if he could erase his presence without me realizing, who knew how many others could do so, waiting for an opportunity to bring him down? He was the type of man to either be loved or hated.

I stood up and gave him my hand. The next moment we were inside my apartment.

"I'll keep your secret," I said gratefully.

"I wouldn't doubt this," he grinned. "Oh and I should also thank you for not telling anyone about what I did to Luna," he spoke in a collusive tone.

He knew this? The only one I had talked to about it was Vincent. Except if today wasn't the only time he had kept his presence invisible.