Chapter 64

Chapter Music: "Flight of the Bats" by Derek & Brandon Fiechter

Before Orias could chastise me for my impertinence, Astaroth spoke in a quite urgent tone.

"I'm heading back to the Kingdom. I trust you'll teach her everything she needs to know," he told the other demon with an austere tone.

"Most certainly." He replied with a grin in his voice. "I expect the army to be formed in less than an hour."

"If they're thirsty for revenge, as you promised, I'll be back even sooner." Astaroth paused for a moment and I could tell he had turned his attention to me. "Don't hold back. You're a lot more vicious than you think."

"I'll do my best."

"I know," he replied smugly.

"He's gone," Orias whispered in my ear then and took my hand before teleporting us again.

We were inside yet another underground cavern, dimly illuminated by the glow of a few torches. It looked somewhat like the Prison but this place looked a lot more ominous, for some reason. It was the size of a ballroom –if not even larger– and I could see no passage leading outside.

And then I noticed Orias. That was the first time I was seeing him naked, yet he looked even more comfortable than any other time when he was wearing clothes. He had a relatively small physique but, at the same time, he was almost disturbingly muscular.

"You must be glad to have your sight back," he pointed out with a sly smile.

"Well, yes." I dropped my gaze, embarrassed. "It's hard to communicate properly otherwise."

"Tsk tsk tsk." He shook his head as if disappointed and paced around me. He covered my eyes with his hand before whispering: "Lesson one: darkness amplifies emotions."

He pushed my hair to the side and ran his tongue behind my ear, making me gasp.

"I want you to let your rage fill you up," he growled before resuming his ministrations. "Let it flow inside you until it's too much to bear. You hate everyone who hates us. You want them all annihilated."

As he spoke, I felt my blood burn in my veins. My jaw stiffened, my fists clenched. My heart was racing as he played with my mind. I could almost feel the hate, as he'd instructed.

A few moments later, Orias hummed in my ear, pleased. "Well done, human." He paused for a moment. "But that's no longer accurate, is it? You're not so human anymore."

These words were enough to break my concentration.

The demon then uncovered my eyes, probably willing to answer my questions in a more straightforward manner.

"What am I, then?" I asked, turning to face him.

"You're not a demon if that's what you're thinking." He took my arm and slid my sleeve up. "But you certainly have the potential. I always knew that Astaroth was an exception but now there's no doubt. This tattoo can make humans from the former empire into demons."

"Do you mean that the components of that injection can lead to a transformation?"

That was anything but unexpected yet, for some reason, it was more than startling. I was surprised that I had managed to form a proper sentence.

"Precisely. But that would be a matter of years. If my theories are correct, your aging would first slow down until it ultimately stopped. There are already signs of black magic within you. Your energy is a lot more tangible now; I can feel it."