Chapter 61

Chapter Music: "Forbidden Lullaby" by Derek Fiechter

My day began with a word, spoken softly close to my ear.

"Sophia," I heard Orias murmur, "Time to wake up, love."

My back felt warm. I groggily opened my eyes and found myself under the bedsheets, cuddled by the man I loved. I turned my head around to see his smiling face.

"Slept well?" he asked.

"Surprisingly so." I smiled back.

His grin turned smug. "Feel like taking a bath? I've filled the tub for you."

"Thanks." My face was heating up all over.

I wonder if he'd be so kind if today was just another day. In any case, I have no words to express how grateful I am.

I got up and Orias took me to the bathroom, all the while holding my hand. It was then when I realized that I was still stark naked.

Ugh. How many people had seen me like that? I'm surprised no one freaked out. Especially Merihem. Then again, demons appear quite used to nudity.

The scent of essential oils and the hot steam enveloping my body relaxed my muscles before even immersing myself in the bathtub. I glanced at Orias. I could tell he had already had a bath and changed into fresh clean clothes.

"Thanks for this." I did my best to show him a bright smile and stepped inside. I sighed in delight at the water's temperature.

"You're the first person I'm doing this for," he replied, fetching a bottle of shower gel. "I'd do even more."

"I have no problem washing myself, you know," I said, watching him wet the sponge.

"Now, now. Aren't you forgetting who you belong to? I take good care of the things that matter." His voice sounded mildly disapproving but I knew better than to frown at that.

Orias raised my leg and started scrubbing it gently.

"You're tense," he pointed out. "Why don't you lie back and enjoy it?"

For a moment, I stayed still, eyeing him uncertainly. He seemed pleased with what he was doing.

His property or a princess? I wouldn't mind being either. But I feel so indebted to him. I really feel bad that I must leave him behind.

With a sigh, I did as he asked and rested my back against the bathtub wall.

"Orias," I spoke his name before even thinking of a question. I had so much to ask.

"Hmm?"

Let's start with the thing he tried to avoid by urging me to sleep last night.

"What did Merihem accuse you of yesterday?"

He grinned ear-to-ear as though he had expected my question.

"I let off steam in a way he considered... inappropriate."

I was about to ask him about the details but he continued on his own: "Remember that demon who groped your breast?"

"Yes. He said someone wanted to speak to you."

He nodded, smiling. "A delegation of government representatives had just arrived. They wanted to inform me of their decision."

My face clouded over. "Was that when they told you about me?"

"Indeed." He let out a laugh, probably remembering what had taken place. "I was faced with five angels and not a single jester!" He snickered again. "What was I supposed to do when they shared the news? Nod my head and offer them tea?"