Chapter 37

Chapter Music: "The Alchemist's Tower" by Derek & Brandon Fiechter

"You're staring," Astaroth told me at some point without even looking at me.

In fact, it wasn't only me who was staring. I spotted many demons looking at him in awe, confusion, terror. Of course, no one dared to come close to me this time, partly for that very reason.

"Why did you tell me that this is your house?"

"I was invited to become its owner again."

"Owner?" I mumbled to myself, perplexed. "You do understand how confused I am, right?"

He grinned in a slightly frightening way, still looking straight forward as if he was constantly on the alert. "If you're only confused, you amaze me."

"I won't judge before I learn as much as possible," I assured him.

At least, it wasn't him I would easily judge. I had a hard time imagining a good reason explaining why so many people were being violated. Had they been chosen according to some criteria? Because our current environment seemed rather chaotic. And today didn't look like an exception. That felt like just another day at the Demon Kingdom. Although I certainly disliked people in general, I wasn't sure if all of them deserved such cruel a fate.

Astaroth's eyes seemed less decisive than before as he appeared to be contemplating my words. "Once I was the King of demons. And from this day on I intend to continue what I abandoned."

"Why?"

Of course, that wasn't the only question I could think of.

I could understand that his lack of interest in others would make him somewhat reluctant to deal with people –and the unruly demons around us seemed a little hard to handle.

Nevertheless, hearing that he was the Demon King had taken me aback. I never knew that there was a Demon Kingdom in the first place. Everything I'd learned up to that moment made me believe that the whole world was governed by angels. It was almost as if the Academy they'd founded was to avoid providing students with information about their adversaries –at least during the few months while I was staying there. Apparently, though, not all demons were spending their lives in scattered villages like the one Merihem had grown up in.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense: Perhaps diplomacy was a skill Astaroth lacked, but it was not hard to imagine that a dark-souled race would want to be ruled by an aggressive and bitter man like him. In fact, his negativity combined with his power made the Demon King's role very fitting for him. I had no doubt that Astaroth might as well be considered a savior among his subjects since he combined intelligence and strength. Undoubtedly, though, the same two qualities rendered him a tyrant in the eyes of those with brighter souls.

No more words were spoken in the meantime. I thought he would answer but he didn't seem willing to discuss such matters before we reached our destination. We must have been so high in the tower that I could now clearly see the ceiling, several levels above.

The dining room we entered was as classy as the rest of the bedchambers I had seen previously. The sight of some demons eating and casually conversing with each other made this place more welcoming than one would expect.

It looks like this tower isn't all about lust and torture after all.

As soon as we entered, a bald demon stepped out of the kitchen and bowed deeply upon seeing us.

"King Astaroth!" he exclaimed, his voice was full of respect. "You two! Didn't you hear that His Majesty is back?! Show your gratitude at once!" he scolded the two waiters who appeared to be in a state of bewilderment.