Chapter 25

Chapter Music: "Aurora Borealis" by Brandon Fiechter

I resisted the temptation to get a whiff of his intoxicating fragrance and made sure not to move a muscle so as not to show him that I had second thoughts about this. That is if what he meant by his action was that he was fond of me as well. Well, I almost always had second thoughts about anything, but this time sentiment got the best of me. And besides, I already knew enough things about that man who I liked. I probably wouldn't be able to discover much more if we didn't take this relationship further. Yet, the anticipation inside me could only be combined with terror. Terror of the wounds that love could cause me; terror, because it was him.

I awaited his remark but the only thing I could hear was the sound of the wind giving life to the dead-looking forest around us and a light chatter from afar. Silence was his reply? Why?

I then realized that Astar's body against mine felt unexpectedly soft all of a sudden. I had the impression that he was a lot tenser when he'd wrapped his arms around me. Had he let his guard down? Was he more relaxed than before? Combined with his silence, that reaction gave me the answer I needed... Or part of it. It was erotic then. But how serious was he? Because I didn't have the energy for children's games. I trusted our similarities and assumed he had the same intentions.

But before I fully relaxed my muscles as well, I felt a great wave of exhaustion overpowering me. That was clearly not the time for me to be thrilled about something like love. As if he'd sensed it, Astar's embrace tightened.

"Either you're a terrific liar, or you're ignorant about your own body," he stated.

"I told you, I'll be fine with some sleep," I tried to assure him but, honestly, I needed some more time with him. I didn't want this to end just yet.

"This is obvious. But I wouldn't call this 'a little weary'. This courtesy of yours is turning you blind," he sounded mad, yet his voice close to my ear sounded like a lullaby.

"Sorry. I guess I... didn't expect that much." That much exhaustion, that much sentiment.

He seemed to have got my whole point and decided to remain silent once more.

Still holding me, he slightly distanced himself to observe my expressions.

"Are you not afraid?" he asked in a low voice, certainly not referring to my physical state.

"I am. Not about everything, though."

"Then you must expect what you're getting into," he said, truthfully, as his usual sharp expression started to reappear in his face.

"What is it that I should be afraid of the most?"

"My nature," he said immediately as if he'd considered it hundreds of times before.

Undoubtedly, there was no hint of sarcasm in his statement. That, however, didn't make it any less vague that it really was. What exactly did his 'nature' entail?

"What about your feelings?"

"Everything is influenced by my nature. In any case, you can be sure about the essence of what I do," he intensely looked at me in the eyes.

He wasn't being clear and that wasn't very calming. Nevertheless, I also had some things of my own to feel apologetic about.

"Are you afraid of me?"

"I'm starting to," he grinned ambiguously.

What did he mean by that? It can't be that he didn't expect me to be a complicated person. He knew I had a dark soul, after all. So why would he smile like that?