Chapter 28

Chapter Music: "Salem's Secret" by Peter Gundry

"No, Astar!" I stopped again to hug him tightly. At that moment, my emotions made it too hard to care that we were in the middle of an academy corridor, dozens of students walking around. Sooner or later, they would find out about us anyway.

"I don't want to hurt you either!" I continued and I felt his arms being wrapped around me with equal intensity.

"That's very kind of you to say," he spoke in a low and earnest voice, "But I won't mind if you won't be able to keep your word."

"Me neither."

I couldn't promise him that I would always be faithful, even though that was my intention at that moment. The least I could do was give him the same rights he was giving me. Besides, I truly didn't want to be the reason for his sorrow.

"You have to be in class in a while, don't you?" he asked softly.

"Yeah," I mumbled and reluctantly broke away from his embrace to start walking again. We had almost reached my room.

I pretended not to notice the people around us who were now shamelessly gossiping about us. Astar did the same thing and silently accompanied me to my door.

"Thanks for walking with me," I gave him a big smile.

"Don't think I've forgotten to reprimand you," he replied with a mischievous smirk as if I had evaded that topic on purpose.

"Oh right! What–"

He silenced me placing his finger on my lips. "Later. Now go get ready or you'll be late. They already have a lot to blame us for."

I nodded, perplexed, and entered my apartment to get myself ready. Would the others really accuse us of being together? I didn't think our morning walk would be the only cause of such a commotion. Judging from what Seraphina had suspected, news indeed spread too quickly inside the campus. So much that she nearly (unfairly) accused us of something that hadn't yet happened.

Once I left the apartment, I noticed that Astar was waiting for me, looking troubled. A part of me had expected him to wait for me, yet that didn't stop me from feeling ecstatic to see him again. He really was better than his reputation. And I could hardly get hold of myself.

"You sure take your time," he teased and took my hand to teleport us outside the chamber where Mr. Stanwood's courses were held.

"Thank you!" I said gratefully. I'd made it in time.

"Don't hurt yourself," he said sternly. "After all, you didn't rest as you'd promised."

I looked at him wide-eyed. That's right! That's what he wanted to scold me for! How could I forget it?! I hadn't exactly said the word 'promise' but everything I'd told him was supposed to be equally true.

"See you," half grinning half frowning, he turned on his heel to leave.

"I'm sorry!" I exclaimed but he didn't stop to acknowledge it.

I'd hurt him, hadn't I? Suddenly, I felt like crying. But what was I supposed to do? My friend needed me. He knew that, didn't he? Was he really that worried about my safety? Such feelings couldn't have been born only yesterday. Had he liked me for a long time? When did his resentment turn into caring?

"Sophia! It's been ages!" Vincent's call snapped me out of my reflections.

"Oh, hello!" I smiled. That guy was always pleasant to see, even if we'd parted a few minutes ago "Is the professor here?"